Colorado Archery Elk Guide Recommendations

Hello All,

I went for my first archery elk hunt this September and had a blast. I spent about 2 weeks hunting near Douglass Pass in OTC Unit 30. Unfortunately, due to lack of experience and likely other factors out of my control (hunting pressure, weather, etc) I did not have a shot opportunity and saw almost no elk in my time. I did however, see lots of other hunters and none of them were on elk either.

I am working on planning my elk hunt for next year. I will have 1 preference point as a resident here in CO. I am looking for the following

-Guided hunt
-Private land preferably, open to public opportunities perhaps accessed by horse
-Fair chase elk only
-Backpacking/wilderness accommodations (I have no interest in paying for/staying in a fancy lodge and having someone cook for me. I like sleeping outside and am young and fit enough to hike at distance. I am perfectly satisfied eating freeze dried and being dirty for a week)
-Opportunities to get closer to elk, and learn how to hunt public land on my own in the future, and a shot opportunity would be great too

Does anyone know of guide(s)/outfits/land in Colorado that would fit these requirements? If something comes to mind outside of Colorado I am open to the opportunity. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks!

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Good luck in the future. I did a guided archery hunt in Colorado in 2022. There were 13 hunters in camp. Some were guided, some weren't. One who was guided, had a shot and killed a cow elk. The weather was exceptionally warm. I'm following in the hopes of doing another guided archery hunt in the future.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Jaquomo

WKR
You might be stretching it a little by hoping for a guided hunt on private land where you, the guide, and whomever else sleeps in the dirt and eats mush in a bag.

You may be better off looking at a wilderness horseback hunt with a guide and a camp cook. But thoroughly check the references, both successful and unsuccessful hunters, unless you want an expensive camping trip. Take a look at Comanche Wilderness Outfitters. With one point you can draw their units. Another option would be Flat Tops Adventures. The owner is a bowhunter and some serious bowhunters I know go with them every year.

I will second Flat Tops. He seems to do it right and is who I’m booking with for my first guided elk hunt in Colorado