Elk Guide/Lodge Recommendations

Howdy,

I’ve finally convinced my wife to go out west and try to harvest an elk together. We whitetail hunt in the Southeast so have zero experience elk hunting.
I originally was going all out and gonna try a backcountry backpacking trip or horseback but with the wife, I think it will better if we ease into things and not rough it on the first go. Thinking long term here, ha. Finding trustworthy info online has been difficult so I need your wisdom and guidance!

Anyway, who has experience with Outfitters Guides and Lodges in CO or Utah or Montana etc?
And would you recommend them?
Which state do you recommend?
Best time of year?

What questions should I ask the outfitter/ guide?
How should I vet them? And what’s a reasonable price for both my wife and I to hunt? I’d like to have some opportunities at larger bulls and am willing to pay more for that.
I’m considering private land hunts to help the odds?

I really appreciate this community and all that I’ve learned!

Thank you

KHNC

WKR
Avoid montana in my opinion. Find you a guided hunt in Colorado on private land to start.

OP
C
Thank ya, I’ve definitely heard that and will most likely be going CO but just wanted to make sure others agreed! We will be rifle hunting also if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llatpoh

FNG
Budget has a lot to do with choosing a state/outfitter. A CWMU hunt in Utah can be incredible, but on the expensive side. Having a lodge on the property makes for a nice hunt.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
You can call up some of the application services like epic outdoors. They have outfitters that they use on a regular basis that they can vouch for. Instead of relying on one hunters experience, they will have a much broader feedback base.

Jaquomo

WKR
Bear Mountain Ranch near Kremmling CO will fit your bill. OTC licenses, beautiful lodge or a more rustic backcountry cabin, lots of elk, beautiful country. They may be booked for this year. Haven't checked prices lately but probably around $7500-$8000 (each) for a five day hunt.

OP
C
Bear Mountain Ranch near Kremmling CO will fit your bill. OTC licenses, beautiful lodge or a more rustic backcountry cabin, lots of elk, beautiful country. They may be booked for this year. Haven't checked prices lately but probably around $7500-$8000 (each) for a five day hunt.

Sweet, I’ll have to look into them. Thank you!
I’m thinking 2025 will probably be more realistic and have more dates available. What time of the season did you go?? How large is their private land?

Jaquomo

WKR
Sweet, I’ll have to look into them. Thank you!
I’m thinking 2025 will probably be more realistic and have more dates available. What time of the season did you go?? How large is their private land?
I have hunted and guided on what is now Bear Mountain Ranch off and on since the late 70s, until 2011. Much of it used to be BLM before several big land swaps, and the previous owners of the private allowed me to bowhunt after the land trades with the BLM. Then it sold and the new owners turned it into a commercial hunting operation. I guided rifle hunters for the outfitter for a few years. Not sure how much land they have now. The owner now is the owner of DHL Trucking, and keeps buying up contiguous ranches as they come up for sale. But they definitely have more than 20,000 acres.

Second-fourth weeks of archery are best (includes ML season) along with first rifle. First week of archery can be great or not so much. By second week hundreds of elk flee the surrounding National Forest and run across the highway to their property. Second rifle can be good. By 4th rifle most of the elk have moved onto winter range.

OP
C
I have hunted and guided on what is now Bear Mountain Ranch off and on since the late 70s, until 2011. Much of it used to be BLM before several big land swaps, and the previous owners of the private allowed me to bowhunt after the land trades with the BLM. Then it sold and the new owners turned it into a commercial hunting operation. I guided rifle hunters for the outfitter for a few years. Not sure how much land they have now. The owner now is the owner of DHL Trucking, and keeps buying up contiguous ranches as they come up for sale. But they definitely have more than 20,000 acres.

Second-fourth weeks of archery are best (includes ML season) along with first rifle. First week of archery can be great or not so much. By second week hundreds of elk flee the surrounding National Forest and run across the highway to their property. Second rifle can be good. By 4th rifle most of the elk have moved onto winter range.

Thank you man, I really do appreciate the info. I will certainly dig more into Bear Mountain and see if we can make it happen. What’s the name of the commercial hunting operation now??

Jaquomo

WKR
It's still "Bear Mountain Ranch" as far as I know. Has had several owners and name changes over the years but that sort of stuck. I have a friend who still guides for them, and he reports back to me every year. Still great hunting ranches, gobs of elk.