Colorado Unit 49 bears?

I’m gonna pull my 49 archery elk tag this year and I was just curious if there were many bears in the unit. I applied for a bear tag just to have it in my pocket but was just wondering if there are many there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’m sure there are bears, will you burn days hunting an elk tag you waited 6+ years to draw to deal with a bear is good question to ask yourself? If you tag out early it would be nice to have to sit the gut pile, but I would view it as kind of a distraction, until you punch your elk tag

OP
Jtelarkin08
I’m sure there are bears, will you burn days hunting an elk tag you waited 6+ years to draw to deal with a bear is good question to ask yourself? If you tag out early it would be nice to have to sit the gut pile, but I would view it as kind of a distraction, until you punch your elk tag

No 100% won’t be messing with a bear unless I kick one in the head. Mostly just wondering if it’s worth staying and sitting a gut pile once I kill a bull.

Your best and highest chance of getting a bear in there is once you have an elk in the dirt, sit back in camp for a few days, chill, and check on it through the week. Nothing pulls bears in like a dead stinking carcass.

When you're breaking the elk down, keep an eye out for areas you can observe from a distance, or where you will set up if you plan on hunting it. I like being able to see the carcass from a ways and once hit, either sit back and watch, get wind right and move in, or set up on the carcass itself.

Hunted it for elk a few years ago and seen two, both at timberline. I was surprised at how many bear hunters I saw.

I’m gonna pull my 49 archery elk tag this year and I was just curious if there were many bears in the unit. I applied for a bear tag just to have it in my pocket but was just wondering if there are many there.

Care to update on your archery elk hunt? and bear in unit 49

Hnthrdr

WKR
People seem to be afraid of doing things on their own these days, I can’t wait till it get to do some hunts near the old family ranch in AZ, it is a lot of fun figuring it out on your own, marking your own maps up and seeing if your ideas were right or not