Colorado bow Hunt

NDM91920

FNG
Does anyone know any good units in colorado for general archery bull hunting? I dont use ATVs and usually bivy in unless the weather is bad so a unit without a lot of atv trails in perfect. It will be my first time going for elk with archery and want to be in a place with a few bulls so even if I dont get on them I to get the experience with calling and movement.

Gerbdog

WKR
Its Colorado, just throw a dart at the map, and then keep throwing it until you hit a unit with low points or OTC unless your banking points, and aim towards the left half of the map while im thinking about it actually.... and there's bulls behind every tree with snow capped mountains in the background and aspens changing colors....

i checked your history and see that you've posted on rokslide a few times over the last few weeks and good for you, how did your hunt go then? Get into elk?

Great question. As a Colorado elk archery hunter - what I’ve learned is there are elk in every unit - but you’ve got to put the skin in the game to find them. So pick a unit that is the kind of place you want to visit, and make a longterm plan to find the elk in that unit. They are there, it’s just going to take some work.

Don’t shortcut the process by relying on other guys advice from a forum.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know any good units in colorado for general archery bull hunting? I dont use ATVs and usually bivy in unless the weather is bad so a unit without a lot of atv trails in perfect. It will be my first time going for elk with archery and want to be in a place with a few bulls so even if I dont get on them I to get the experience with calling and movement.
Nope never heard of it.

11boo

WKR
I could send you to my secret spot, but then it won’t be a secret.

we don’t like tossing units out here either. Just pick one and go.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
Find a few units that look promising and go spend time there in the off-season. The more you learn the area the better your odds. I have spent a lot of time in the unit I hunt and still haven’t killed one. I see lots of elk but legal bulls are few and far between. I seem to be able to kill them in every state except Colorado but I still keep trying. Good luck on your search.

OP
N

NDM91920

FNG
Its Colorado, just throw a dart at the map, and then keep throwing it until you hit a unit with low points or OTC unless your banking points, and aim towards the left half of the map while im thinking about it actually.... and there's bulls behind every tree with snow capped mountains in the background and aspens changing colors....

i checked your history and see that you've posted on rokslide a few times over the last few weeks and good for you, how did your hunt go then? Get into elk?
We got into a few but nothing close they were all stuck to the mounitan tops getting pushed around by other hunters.

Mcribs

FNG
My favorite unit is the one closest to my house and the elk tend to be where other hunters are not looking. It’s a good one

Gerbdog

WKR
We got into a few but nothing close they were all stuck to the mounitan tops getting pushed around by other hunters.
Sounds like elk hunting i suppose. They (the elk.... and i guess hunters too...) will seek sanctuary somewhere unless your really in the thick of the other hunters, in which case better go find somewhere with less hunters

The terrain in 145, 90, is decent, same for unit. 72 and 1. Really anything in between in early September can be good. We had more bugle/call ins in 145 though. Can’t wait to get back there.