Colorado corner crossing bill proposed

cnelk

WKR
Another update: Representative Bradley had a meeting with Governor Polis's policy adviser on Monday and as a result of that meeting, which was very positive, Governor Polis himself will meet with Representative Bradley Monday. In case some of you are not aware, this governor has opened up more public lands than any other governor. I think he would love to open up 101000 more acres through 489 access points for the public land enthusiast.

Flyjunky

WKR
Another update: Representative Bradley had a meeting with Governor Polis's policy adviser on Monday and as a result of that meeting, which was very positive, Governor Polis himself will meet with Representative Bradley Monday. In case some of you are not aware, this governor has opened up more public lands than any other governor. I think he would love to open up 101000 more acres through 489 access points for the public land enthusiast.
Lets hope so. That would be a win for Colorado residents and hopefully spur more of the same in other states.

If this passes, ranchers finna get sued.
If they chain off or otherwise impede access/hunting/hiking/mtn bikin, or break a law, maybe they should be.

If you trip while trespassing, he should sue you/press charges and be awarded appropriately for damages (if any exist).

Or people could be adults and talk it out.

Or find alternative access points.

Them the rules. Quite Possibly the easiest concept.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If this passes, ranchers finna get sued.

I think this statute would reduce liability for landowners. It clarifies corner crossing and the rights and responsibilities for each party, which is currently ambiguous.

Of course, landowners worried about liability could voluntarily adjust their fence to allow easy passage. Land management agencies and local sportsman groups already work on (and often fund) these types of solutions.

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
I think this statute would reduce liability for landowners. It clarifies corner crossing and the rights and responsibilities for each party, which is currently ambiguous.

Of course, landowners worried about liability could voluntarily adjust their fence to allow easy passage. Land management agencies and local sportsman groups already work on (and often fund) these types of solutions.

If one of your buddy’s brings over his new girl friend to introduce her to the family, she’s had a few drinks at lunch, she trips and bust’s her ass in your house from uneven tile, dog, cat or even her own shoe lace. You think your home owner insurance is gonna win that or pay her out????

Ranchers finna be screwed unless they move their fence on the corner to give 36” per AdA standard.

Last edited:

That's a great concept actually.

Offer up to the farmer or rancher or company or whomever owns it, that you'll build the prettiest gate/fence and cattle guard you can afford and if he would approve that, we'll make sure on our last day at camp, we'll try to do a push or a drive to shift game x direction back to the crossing.

But, I dunno. Just a (mid)western opinion for a western issue.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Ranchers finna be screwed unless they move their fence on the corner to give 36” per AdA standard.

I guess we disagree on this one.

In any case a whataboutism worry about liability is no reason to kill this bill. Landowners can take whatever steps they feel they need to within the law to reduce their liability.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great concept actually.

Offer up to the farmer or rancher or company or whomever owns it, that you'll build the prettiest gate/fence and cattle guard you can afford and if he would approve that, we'll make sure on our last day at camp, we'll try to do a push or a drive to shift game x direction back to the crossing.

But, I dunno. Just a (mid)western opinion for a western issue.

Local sportsman associations do stuff like this all the time (not the hazing wildlife part).

Local sportsman associations do stuff like this all the time (not the hazing wildlife part).
Might be a difference, but very common to do drives and pushes. Also been a discussion point here too. If a state does not allow that tactic, so be it.

The ethics and such around it, discussion for a different thread.

Hnthrdr

WKR
If one of your buddy’s brings over his new girl friend to introduce her to the family, she’s had a few drinks at lunch, she trips and bust’s her ass in your house from uneven tile, dog, cat or even her own shoe lace. You think your home owner insurance is gonna win that or pay her out????

Doubt it, 99.99% of the people who will access the corners are not likely to sue anyone, they probably don’t tell their wives about their honey hole, let alone blow it up in court since they are clumsy. It will be just fine. Also “Finna” inna a word, bub.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Might be a difference, but very common to do drives and pushes. Also been a discussion point here too. If a state does not allow that tactic, so be it.

The ethics and such around it, discussion for a different thread.

I meant that I don’t know of any sportsman groups that hazed/drove/pushed game for somebody.

I know several groups have done a bunch of access projects though.

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
Doubt it, 99.99% of the people who will access the corners are not likely to sue anyone, they probably don’t tell their wives about their honey hole, let alone blow it up in court since they are clumsy. It will be just fine. Also “Finna” inna a word, bub.

I’d agree with you in for the most part but if you or your kid get f’d with an injury for life (Broken back, neck ect..). I’d bet you be on the phone real quick when that razor payment came due and your disability check won’t cover it… just sayin.

Also “INNA” isn’t a word either….. 😎

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’d agree with you in for the most part but if you or your kid get f’d with an injury for life (Broken back, neck ect..). I’d bet you be on the phone real quick when that razor payment came due and your disability check won’t cover it… just sayin.

Also “INNA” isn’t a word either….. 😎
Oh bub, you do grasp English, that’s great. Well considering I don’t own a razor I think I’m okay. But let’s review, if you are in the NF and crossing deadfall and bust your ass, who do you call to sue? Or crossing a fence from NF to BLM or any other fenced sections of public ? It would essentially be the same. Ps who the heck is breaking their neck from crossing a 4 strand fence? Haha would love to know

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
Oh bub, you do grasp English, that’s great. Well considering I don’t own a razor I think I’m okay. But let’s review, if you are in the NF and crossing deadfall and bust your ass, who do you call to sue? Or crossing a fence from NF to BLM or any other fenced sections of public ? It would essentially be the same. Ps who the heck is breaking their neck from crossing a 4 strand fence? Haha would love to know

I think there’s a big difference between dead fall and a maintained cattle/property fence.

The razor comment was just a general statement portraying the idea of people having payments.

Just to clear this up if you were in national forest or blm and busted your ass over a cattle fence where a rancher is running cattle actively or hold the lease well there you go, ol boy is on the hook, that’s why they have insurance.

I agree with you in regards to who is breaking them selfs over the 4 strand, it happens tho….

Bottom line is ranchers are on the hook for their fence’s, cows and bulls also any other live stock the run.

Just because some people won’t bat an eye at getting a layer doesn’t mean the dude on the next ridge won’t try to sue for house an home for a twisted ankle.

MattB

WKR
Sounds like this diminishes landowner rights by forcing them to fence out their own property. Californication at its best.

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like this diminishes landowner rights by forcing them to fence out their own property. Californication at its best.

Don’t blame California for Colorado's choices.

That shit won’t happen here believe me… cattle ranchers, vineyards and orchards have more protection then the weekend warrior.