colorado cow moose

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are CO moose anywhere close to carrying capacity? I wouldn’t expect so but I’m no expert. Before this wolf aspect in the mix I sorta wondered why do we even have cow hunts vs just letting the population grow?

WKR
Actually a lot of moose get killed on I-70 around Eisenhower. So perhaps selectively increasing cow tags in areas with high moose/car collisions makes sense. Otherwise I am 100% with you. I guess the wolves will handle things in short order though.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Actually a lot of moose get killed on I-70 around Eisenhower. So perhaps selectively increasing cow tags in areas with high moose/car collisions makes sense. Otherwise I am 100% with you. I guess the wolves will handle things in short order though.
Wasn't aware of that, hitting a moose is a bad day...!

These prices are getting outrageous, 2700 for a cow tag. At what point do you save and go on a British Columbia or Alaska bull hunt.
I’m not sure when the last time you checked those hunt prices but $2700 would likely just cover your travel there and back with gear/meat/hotels. Add another 10-20k for the hunt itself.

Woitey

FNG
I drew with 3X1. Went guided in the middle of the drought outside of Paonia. Saw one at 1100 yards. And that was as close as I was able to get as she was on top of the mountain, and I wasn't. If you are as old as I am, you're going to need someone to help get the animal out, they make an elk look small.

Maverick1

WKR
Should not need a guide for hunting moose in CO. Unless it is for meat packing or camp accommodations. CO DOW makes it pretty easy to pinpoint exactly where to kill moose.

I’m not sure when the last time you checked those hunt prices but $2700 would likely just cover your travel there and back with gear/meat/hotels. Add another 10-20k for the hunt itself.
Yeah I understand, I personally think I'd rather save and go for a chance at a nice Alaskan bull moose then pay for multiple preference points/license and tag for a draw cow hunt. To each their own. Sure you can pay 20,000 for a hunt if you like, but there are certainly diy options well under 10,000 too

HiMtnHntr

WKR
For some reason I was thinking 3 + 3, but now that I think on it, anyone with 3 + 1 is eligible. Yeah, I think that’s how it works….

What explains is 3+3 or 3+1?
You mean 6 point or 4 ?
Just a couple years ago it was a point or two for non resident.

bobco

FNG
Buddies wife hit a moose outside crested butte… some folks showed up and cried about the dead moose… basically sums up Co these days
I would have been Quartering it!!! that would have been a big hit

Hardest part on a cow is finding one without a calf. Sadly, that won’t be an issue in 10 years.

Looking at how fast the wolves have traveled in just 4 months, I too thought it would be 5-10 years before their impact would be felt in areas I’m familiar with.

Well, they’ve already been through one area I hunt, and only the snow pack on the divide stopped them from another.

The wolves will have a huge impact on moose populations, and in my opinion it’ll take much fewer years than 10