Colorado Fire Ban

Phaseolus

WKR
As someone who lives on the edge of GMUG I can’t understand why USFS has lifted the fire ban. It is the driest I have ever seen it in the 50 years I’ve lived here. We haven’t had rain since Sept 10 and that wasn’t enough. One spark in the oakbrush zone and we will have a huge fire...

Colorado has a statewide fire ban, currently in effect until Oct 7th. Not sure how the federal resources play against that, but I believe it follows the most restrictive law. In other words, if any agency has a ban then the ban has to be followed. Colorado has a ban so it should be in place on state, federal, and private land.

Lighting any fire in Colorado right now is an ignorant and dangerous idea. I hope people can use common sense and find other ways to stay warm. I am inclined to agree with jkr61, not sure how I would react to finding a campfire right now.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Colorado has a statewide fire ban, currently in effect until Oct 7th. Not sure how the federal resources play against that, but I believe it follows the most restrictive law. In other words, if any agency has a ban then the ban has to be followed. Colorado has a ban so it should be in place on state, federal, and private land.

Lighting any fire in Colorado right now is an ignorant and dangerous idea. I hope people can use common sense and find other ways to stay warm. I am inclined to agree with jkr61, not sure how I would react to finding a campfire right now.

So there are 3 possibilities for the droves of rifle hunters (myself included) that will pour in over the next few weeks:

1 - They will see the signs, hear the warnings, and not care, at all. A large portion will make fires.

2 - They will be cognizant of the risk and assess the situation in real time and decide for themselves if a fire is ok or not, regardless of rules/restrictions in place or not in place.

3 - Call the local CPW office and/or Forest Service for clarification before venturing out.

I did #3 this morning. I was told there were no restrictions in place on federal land in the area I am hunting as of this morning. I will practice #2.

There will always be the threat of #1. BUT, my issue is there will be a large portion of #3 who take it as explicit permission regardless of common sense.

I can fathom either, how any firebans could be lifted...
Sitting at my house,on the front range and it’s so smokey right now it’s unbelievable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Oh, almost forgot...tanker after tanker, all day, since Monday.

We had a B-52 cruising over the house all morning. First B-52 I've seen in the air in quite some time. Not sure what he was doing, but he came over from multiple different directions for about 45 minutes. Pretty cool......always loved the B-52's.

The newest Lake Fork Guy video who hunted with the Born and Raised guys in Colorado clearly shows them having an open fire during their last day of their hunt. They even mentioned the fire ban a few videos back. Video starts at 3:48.

Unreal. BRO has done this a bunch in the past when there was a fire ban in Colorado. They dont care.

Jbehredt

WKR
We had a B-52 cruising over the house all morning. First B-52 I've seen in the air in quite some time. Not sure what he was doing, but he came over from multiple different directions for about 45 minutes. Pretty cool......always loved the B-52's.

Long live the BUFF!

Definitely not a B-52
And certainly not nostalgic...

Taken this week at the airport just SE of Boulder.
Tankers like these were landing/taking off every 20 minutes or so...hammering the Cameron fire, or maybe the one that’s burned down into CO from WY, or maybe the fire that’s outside of Dillon...or maybe the Steamboat fire.
I’ve lost count, honestly.

DIA has rerouted flights, to accommodate for the huge amount of northern front range firefighting tankers.
Such a mess, and still so hot and scary dry.

Still can’t believe, fire restrictions are being eased.

Attachments

• C27E7E6B-E36D-48B8-A062-22583C7F627B.png
    C27E7E6B-E36D-48B8-A062-22583C7F627B.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 41

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
You guys should listen to the latest Kifarucast .

You mean the part with Aron running his mouth about building a fire and melting his water bottle? Yea, not smart. A lot of people hang on to every word that the celebrity types say and will have zero regard for bans in the future.

I like how he said they (CPW) have a hard on for them, and they'd give him a ticket for burning. Oh, ya think?

It's one thing to need it, do it and shut your mouth about it. Advertising it on the other hand...

It will be interesting if the BRO guys show a fire in their videos this year.

You guys should listen to the latest Kifarucast .
They also mentioned that stoves with a spark arrester are ok. In North Park at least, they are not.

I called the Walden USFS office today and was told that no fires are allowed, including in wood stoves with spark arresters. Only "compressed gas type stoves with an off switch or valve control" are allowed at this time.

brsnow

WKR
It is dry and air quality is poor in the northern part of the state

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Just looked at all the USFS website for CO National Forests and compiled this. Current as of 0855 MT 10/7/20, in case someone happens upon this thread on their way out this week.

Arapahoe & Roosevelt - Stage 2 Fire Restrictions
Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, & Gunnison - No Restrictions
Medicine Bow - Route - Stage 2 Restrictions
Pike & San Isabel - Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
Rio Grande - Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
San Juan - Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
White River - Stage 1 Fire Restrictions

brsnow

WKR
Medicine Bow Route is crazy dry, hoping they moisture this week helps.

lak2004

WKR
Updated info on stage 1 allowance in san juan NF. Stoves with spark arrestor are allowed.
fd652d5e93b08c7468cf14a8b3091f45.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Not a big deal, until it is. 1 mile form my house.
Please respect our homes.
2% moisture in the grass. Might as well be lighter fluid.