Colorado GMU 53

Never hunted 53 but hiked/scouted it last year after tagging out in my usual spot. Got into elk without even really trying. There is enough rough country you should be able to find seclusion unless your hunting the same trails and parking spots as everyone else.

Late Sept and Early Oct are generally very nice BUT.... anything can happen that time of year in the high country.
Hot and dry to massive 12 hour long rain storms to significant snowfall. Just got to be prepared to weather it all.

Late Sept and Early Oct are generally very nice BUT.... anything can happen that time of year in the high country.
Hot and dry to massive 12 hour long rain storms to significant snowfall. Just got to be prepared to weather it all.

Thanks for the input. Obviously will be as prepared as possible. What are the general low temps like? Clearly anything can happen just looking for a general expectation

Thanks for the input. Obviously will be as prepared as possible. What are the general low temps like? Clearly anything can happen just looking for a general expectation
Low temperatures would be very altitude dependent. I wouldn’t expect to see anything lower than 25 degrees at higher altitudes and not for whole days. 25 may be rare, and it would be rare below 10,000 feet. The later in September the higher the chance of lower tempaeratuee. You’ll need to be prepared for any condition although I would not expect to have to deal with much snow for very long if at all. You never know though.

We hiked a good few miles into 53 last year to find a bigass ramshackle tarp tepee full of muzzleloaders with mules from Wisconsin... Like a dozen of them, maybe more.

It was kind of funny really. We still had a bull bugling outside of our tent one night but failed to find him at daylight.
Yep, we ran into them too lol. It was pretty clear they didn't want us hunting that area so we moved on. We got on elk, but they were living in the Bermuda Triangle of wind and we just couldn't make it happen. It was drier than a cracker fart on the north end of the unit.

Yep, we ran into them too lol. It was pretty clear they didn't want us hunting that area so we moved on. We got on elk, but they were living in the Bermuda Triangle of wind and we just couldn't make it happen. It was drier than a cracker fart on the north end of the unit.

Hah! Yea, they were pretty friendly with us too.

GMU 53 is THE REASON -- singular -- that I harp on guys who post about GMU numbers, want help, and share trailheads, basins, etc. on a public forum. It was good, and over night, it changed -- like within one year. I now hunt the unit for bears - happy to share info on that, because beaver, haystack, chains, guero, sand, south saddle...they've all got camps in them every year.

Exactly! Same with some units very close to there as well.

GMU 53 is THE REASON -- singular -- that I harp on guys who post about GMU numbers, want help, and share trailheads, basins, etc. on a public forum. It was good, and over night, it changed -- like within one year. I now hunt the unit for bears - happy to share info on that, because beaver, haystack, chains, guero, sand, south saddle...they've all got camps in them every year.

i would LOVE to pick your brain for bear. My buddy will be there for ELK and i am getting a bear tag. Any pointers would be appreciated. Here in the Midwest we bait them with food cans and sit in tree stands, but in CO i am hoping to run across 1 while we are searching for elk.

the drought they had in 2019 things were very dry. You could find water in most creeks but we did find a few that were dry. This drought seems much worse.

Could a CO Unit 53 wizard answer an access question by DM? Looking at a major drainage that I'm sure must have an outfitter trail/non-official USFS track going up it (seeing glimpses of it by satellite), but if it doesn't exist, has big implications for a two-truck through-hunt. I've hunted 53 for seven years but switching things up this year

I pulled a tag or GMU 53 3rd season mule deer. Ive only been to the unit once and don't know much about it. Ive Onx'ed and google maped the life out of it and was wondering about the Off road trails and use of 4 wheelers during that time frame. DM me if you can help with this information. Thank you in advance for any and all information.

Back