Colorado GMU 53

dingleberns

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to talk to someone that lives in the area or has knowledge of Colorado GMU 53. I’ve done a ton of research and want to see if i’m on the right path as this is my first hunting trip and first time archery. Scout trip is planned for late July/early August. This will be a backpack trip with one other person (also new).

I'll be there in 2nd rifle as well. First time hunting it. Hunted 55 last year. Would love to hear how your hunt goes this year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rcairney

FNG
Now with the fires in the SW, I am looking at other options for my archery hunt this year. I have been looking into 53 as well. My only turn off is the amount of trails in there. From OnX, it really doesn't look like you could get much further than a mile off the beaten path. I may still try it out, but from reading a few posts on here from years ago, and looking at that spiderweb of trails, I am a little concerned about it. I would love to hear what you've found

OP
D

dingleberns

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the pm’s. Helps a lot. I’ll give an update after my scout trip and another after the season. As for the trails, it is quite a ways back in there where I was looking. Still don’t know how crowded it is during archery back there and if the elk are back there. I have a few places I will be scouting which are closer and if nothing turns up, I will go deeper where I was originally looking.

Howell81

FNG
I will be hunting 53 opening weekend 2019. How was your trip? We have a few basins picked out that seem a couple miles from trails. Was is pretty crowded?

My big questions are water, bugs, rugged terrain? Water is my #1 concern. Most maps show alot of streams but how many of those hold water during a normal rainfall year?

Bugs - Out here in Illinois the no see ums and skitters will eat you up. When you are 8k+ do you still get alot of bugs? Is there a certain elevation you need to be at to escape them or you pretty much screwed?

Terrain - the features looks steep but my "flatlander" mind could be wrong. anyone have good pictures or something so i can visualize how steep the majority of these hills are?

Bugs in CO are typically not an issue by September. There will be some annoying flies/bees but that should be about it.

As for terrain, if it looks mild on Google Earth it is likely pretty steep. If it looks steep on GE, get ready for a climb. For water this should be a good year. We've had lots of snow and I would imagine most streams you see on maps will hold water