Colorado Goat Tag Unit G12

Colorado Unit G12 goat hunt: I drew a goat tag for unit G12. I am flying to Colorado to scout this unit for eight days in July. Problem is the overnight camping permits for the dates of the hunt go on sale mid June and historically sell out immediately.
I’m wondering if anyone will give me some advice or insider secrets on what section of the unit to obtain a camping permit and/or where i should start scouting. TIA.

Respect the approach and the question, wish I had specific info to give on the area. Here in CA for areas that require permits i just charge it, alpine start it and don’t camp around people. I get though why I wouldn’t love that idea if I was flying out

Good for you for doing the research and dedicating some scouting time! Maybe reach out to the biologist and warden in the area and see what they have to say. Most of Colorado has dispersed camping, not sure about that area without digging in though.

Colorado Unit G12 goat hunt: I drew a goat tag for unit G12. I am flying to Colorado to scout this unit for eight days in July. Problem is the overnight camping permits for the dates of the hunt go on sale mid June and historically sell out immediately.
I’m wondering if anyone will give me some advice or insider secrets on what section of the unit to obtain a camping permit and/or where i should start scouting. TIA.

We did a sheep hunt here two seasons ago. You only need a permit within the designated permit areas.

Map here

Info here

Kill appx locations here (horn measurements)

There's a silly amount of mountain goats in the unit and you should have no problem finding them. Especially if you go through the locations and realize the hot spots.

Call the CPW office in Glenwood Springs to justify, but as a hunter your mountain goat tag should justify your camping permit. You should be able to park at places like maroon bells just have to pay the fee to park, and anytime you go into the wilderness area unless you are with an outfitter just fill out the camping permit tags at the trail head. You shouldn’t have to worry about reserving spots unless you plan to camp at places such as conundrum hot springs, which I wouldn’t suggest cause it’s a mess there anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a big billy out of G12 two seasons ago and can give you some insight. You won't need camping permits to access the areas that are productive for goats, What is your local? You will want to hit some VO2 max specific training hard as you will spend most of your time upwards of 10K ASL will always be climbing or descending. There isn't much flat ground.

I'll PM you contact info and we can arrange to share info.

I filled a Nanny tag in the unit last year. Numbers are way down and a lot of people I ran into confirmed the same. Further confirmation is CPW dropping the tags by half! That said, I saw a lot of Billies and would be happy to point you in the right direction if that is your tag. Send me a PM.

I took a big billy out of G12 two seasons ago and can give you some insight. You won't need camping permits to access the areas that are productive for goats, What is your local? You will want to hit some VO2 max specific training hard as you will spend most of your time upwards of 10K ASL will always be climbing or descending. There isn't much flat ground.

I'll PM you contact info and we can arrange to share info.
Thank you. I have been doing E-scouting, I looked at past kill sights, and I am flying out to scout in July. I would love to hear your feedback on the unit and entry points. Rob

I filled a Nanny tag in the unit last year. Numbers are way down and a lot of people I ran into confirmed the same. Further confirmation is CPW dropping the tags by half! That said, I saw a lot of Billies and would be happy to point you in the right direction if that is your tag. Send me a PM.

Thank you! I would like to hear your feedback not he unit. I'm not sure how to PM. Worst case scenario, I will post my cell phone on here in a couple days.

Back