Colorado hunting atlas

bwlacy

WKR
Just an FYI. The Colorado hunting atlas public land overlay is not very accurate. There is a lot more private land than I thought in the area we are going. Just a caution to others to make sure you know the boundaries, if there are any in your hunting area.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
county GIS map viewer. Hunting atlas has green overlay showing public on some small parcels of private along a road.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
While discussing accuracy. How accurate have others found the atlas to be when it comes to layers showing summer concentration, resident population, migration corridor, etc?

Yes I do. I wouldn't just base your assumption it was private land on just anything. Meaning because someone is trying to claim it, doesn't mean it is that way. I've seen quite a few people falsely public land when it benefited the land they owned..

BigHink66

FNG
I could be wrong, but the layers in the atlas may have been developed at a greater scale than an actual parcel layer. It was ‘t Meant to provide the detail that you are seeking. I would always expect small private land parcels along roads that go through national forest or even any large tract of public. For that you’d need a parcel layer. Even that you should expect projection errors near the edges. These large shapefiles are not survey grade and may not align perfectly with aerial photo or other map sources.

Mmcan

WKR
I have OnXHunt and the public/private overlay extended the public land nearly a quarter of a mile on an edge we've hunted for years but assumed it was private just over an old broken down fence.

Has anyone found OnXHunt to be inaccurate?? I have truly enjoyed using it.