Colorado License Return - 2nd Choice

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
CPWs number is busy so can anyone answer this for me?

If I draw a 2nd choice elk license and choose to return it. Can I return and recoup the cost of the tag without losing my preference points?

Overdrive

WKR
If you drew a 2nd choice your PP's haven't been used or affected in any way. So your just turning in the license. You are subject to a $15 processing fee in doing so.

What Overdrive said. Only 1st choice uses your preference points. 2nd, 3rd, & 4th, OTC, leftover limited, and secondary draw choices don't use or generate points.

Page 9 of the 2022 Colorado Big Game book explains all of the preference point rules.

ericF

WKR
Just FYI, starting this year you can do the same thing for first choice.

A BRIEF PERIOD TO SURRENDER YOUR LICENSE AFTER THE PRIMARY DRAW
IS NOW AVAILABLE: Once the draw is complete, CPW will send emails to
customers who are successful in the draw and provide them with a short
period when they can decide to surrender their license if they no longer
want it, receiving preference point restoration to the pre-draw level, a
refund of the license fee and removal of the license from the customer's
account

Fmarji

FNG
Just FYI, starting this year you can do the same thing for first choice.

A BRIEF PERIOD TO SURRENDER YOUR LICENSE AFTER THE PRIMARY DRAW
IS NOW AVAILABLE: Once the draw is complete, CPW will send emails to
customers who are successful in the draw and provide them with a short
period when they can decide to surrender their license if they no longer
want it, receiving preference point restoration to the pre-draw level, a
refund of the license fee and removal of the license from the customer's
account
Thank you for sharing, hopefully we get some successful emails none the less.

Colby3

FNG
I talked to the CPW people and ask them if I got drawn for my first choice but wish to return my tag what would happen. You retain your PP to what they were going into the draw, you lose your $100ish you paid, you can not gain / buy a PP, you have to send in the money for the elk tag before they can turn right around and send it back to you.

ericF

WKR
I talked to the CPW people and ask them if I got drawn for my first choice but wish to return my tag what would happen. You retain your PP to what they were going into the draw, you lose your $100ish you paid, you can not gain / buy a PP, you have to send in the money for the elk tag before they can turn right around and send it back to you.

Yeh, they didn't make that real clear in the initial big game regulations, but they have updated it if you download a newer version. Strange how they charge you and then refund you, but i'm sure there is a technical reason.

The new license surrender period
information has been clarified since
the time of publication.
The updated information is:
Even if a customer decides
to surrender their license
by the license surrender
period deadline, CPW will
automatically charge the
credit card on file when an
awarded license is posted to the
customer’s account.
Customers will then receive
preference point restoration to
the pre-draw level, a refund of
the license fee and removal of
the surrendered license from
the customer’s account

They keep adding and amending this stuff...

I like Wyoming's model. Pay up front. Want to return your tag? Sorry, not happening.

CPW = Everyone gets a trophy
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they make a new rule where you're allowed to shoot a bull, and if you're unhappy with that bull you can return him at an office location for a brand new tag. Obviously it'd have to be within 2 days of the hunt starting, subject to transaction fees, require certifiable evidence that he's smaller than you thought, etc.

tipiwind

FNG
Yeh, they didn't make that real clear in the initial big game regulations, but they have updated it if you download a newer version. Strange how they charge you and then refund you, but i'm sure there is a technical reason.

The new license surrender period
information has been clarified since
the time of publication.
The updated information is:
Even if a customer decides
to surrender their license
by the license surrender
period deadline, CPW will
automatically charge the
credit card on file when an
awarded license is posted to the
customer’s account.
Customers will then receive
preference point restoration to
the pre-draw level, a refund of
the license fee and removal of
the surrendered license from
the customer’s account
I have read and re read what is states. "preference point restoration to the pre-draw level" So does this still apply if I drew a 2nd choice tag? The way I read it I would be placed at pre draw points and still not gain one for this year.

ericF

WKR
Good question and I don't think it is completely clear. You could view it as being written from a 1'st choice perspective where someone burned their points to draw a tag. However the way it is written does make it sound like you would lose your point that you gained from 1'st choice whenever you turn in a 2n'd choice tag. The license surrender period is already over this year, but if someone was concerned about it they could email CPW and ask the question. If they do take your point away then it would be better to just do a standard pre-30 day return and get a refund.