colorado mule deer

hey guys, this is our first mule deer hunt and were looking at going to unit 43 in the maroon bells snowmass wildnerness. was wondering if anyone has been out that way or had any success. we don't have preferance points so if there are any other units that come to mind let us know!

sndmn11

WKR
are there better places to go? or should we look for a different OTC state until we build points?

The Maroon Bells is pretty well traveled with touristy backpacking folks, it might be one of the most popular in the state. There isn't anything wrong with the unit, but I wouldn't plan on hunting where you mentioned other than bear who are people dependant.

OP
gigandet642016
The Maroon Bells is pretty well traveled with touristy backpacking folks, it might be one of the most popular in the state. There isn't anything wrong with the unit, but I wouldn't plan on hunting where you mentioned other than bear who are people dependant.
ok that makes sense., thanks!

Jimss

WKR
As mentioned there are gobs of hikers all summer into early fall in that area. Deer densities are super low so you'll likely need to cover lots of country. If you seriously want to try it out head up there this summer on a couple backpack trips to get a feel for the country and what you are up against. It is some of the prettiest country in Colo. The learning curve can be pretty steep on those type of hunts but you won't find out unless you lace up your boots and leap right in! It may take several trips and years to start figuring things out.

Northpark

WKR
A good mule deer hunt is harder to come by than a good elk hunt these days. For Colorado I would look at drawing something elsewhere. Honestly the front range has some good deer hunting but maybe not much true backcountry

Wildgame

FNG
I recently had the opportunity to meet some friends that live in CO. They say I could stay with them if I ever go hunting there. I was thinking the same, to get an OTC and give it a try but it seems it might be better to try to draw a unit that is worthwhile.

OP
gigandet642016
Sorry, I'm new to hunting in CO, but there's an OTC muley season in Colorado?!
if you want OTC idaho and montana are your states. but with that comes increased pressure (in a lot of cases) and typically smaller scoring animals (in most cases compared to other states)

WCB

WKR
if you want OTC idaho and montana are your states. but with that comes increased pressure (in a lot of cases) and typically smaller scoring animals (in most cases compared to other states)
Since when has Montana been OTC for deer?