Colorado opening week, bugling?

Bails-UK

FNG
Hi Guys, I'm in the process of planning next year's Archery Elk hunt, just curious, but has anybody used bugling/call tactics on opening week for success or have you had more success spotting stalking them?

Dave

I've found early archery bugling activity to be highly variable year-to-year. Case in point, my 2016 hunt began on the Friday of opening week (Sep 2), and I bugled in and killed a satellite bull that evening. The very next morning, I bugled in a larger bull for my brother. Both bulls had been bugling before I began calling to them. In 2018 I hiked into the same canyon on opening day (Aug 25), heard maybe a half dozen bugles all week, and killed a cow late in the week.

Was out scouting in NF this past weekend and heard a mid-day bugle. Weak bedded location bugle. Last year they weren't bugling regularly in my area until mid-September.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I heard 42 bugles opening day last year, year before didn’t hear my first until muzzleloader and they were screaming in first rifle....

Jqualls10

FNG
Seems to vary year to year. You can get some bugles but we dont seem to get a ton up until a week or two into September. Start of muzzleloader is where they seem to start bugle a lot and not just right up to shooting light. Last year they didn't start much in our area until the second weekend of muzzleloader.