Colorado S9 Bighorn

rbprince

FNG
Rokslide Newbie here - Finally drew my S9 tag and was referred by a fellow CO hunter to this site. Thought I'd start up a conversation/post to chat about my upcoming hunt. Haven't set foot in the unit yet besides a trip or two to the Sand Dunes in past years, but based on some previous posts here and other forums its going to be a challenging hunt. I've always been a DYI hunter and plan to do the same here, bringing along my trusty pack mule (aka #1 Son).

Anyway, I'll try to keep the post updated if anyone is interested. Hoping to make the first trip to the unit in a couple weeks.

This will probably be my first and only ram hunt, unless I'm still able to climb the mtn when my son finally draws a tag. Hope that doesn't take another 10yrs. Any help with info, etc. appreciated.

Great Site.

OP
R

rbprince

FNG
Thanks - I'll be sure to send some updates. I'm thankful for all the snow this year, but can't wait for some of it to melt so I can get up the mtn. Anyone been down that way or know if some of the trails are clear yet ?

OP
R

rbprince

FNG
Rifle or bow?

I have the kill locations saved on my computer, if you can't find them. PM me your email address.
Rifle Tag -
Thanks, I've got the DOW kill locations, etc - just don't know if I trust them...lol
Itching to get into the unit but want to make sure the trails are open and not waste a trip.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am trying to go fishing at a lake this weekend up along the divide a little further north, reading roads are still snowed in last week 11k. Going to go out anyways I think (likely taking my 9yr old), worst case I just fish lower down stuff. I can let you know what I see. IIRC when I scouted an area at 11k July 9 last year there was a fair bit of north slope snow still, I think this year will be worse. If your time is limited I think I'd concentrate more late July thru Aug.

OP
R

rbprince

FNG
I am trying to go fishing at a lake this weekend up along the divide a little further north, reading roads are still snowed in last week 11k. Going to go out anyways I think (likely taking my 9yr old), worst case I just fish lower down stuff. I can let you know what I see. IIRC when I scouted an area at 11k July 9 last year there was a fair bit of north slope snow still, I think this year will be worse. If your time is limited I think I'd concentrate more late July thru Aug.
Thanks pods8 - Hope the roads aren't to bad and the fishins good. I'll probably be giving it a couple more weeks before I head down.

ahlgringo

WKR
Was up in the Sangres last weekend. Most the snow is gone below 11,500. Lakes below 11,800 (most all of them) are open, and fishing is great!!! Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rbprince

FNG
Was up in the Sangres last weekend. Most the snow is gone below 11,500. Lakes below 11,800 (most all of them) are open, and fishing is great!!! Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the update ahlgringo, I'll be sure to pack a fishing pole. Happen to see any nice rams while you were up there ?

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
If you are unsuccessful scouting and decide to go the guided route, Sangre De Cristo Outfitters has a very good guide in S9. I realize you want to go DIY but if you ultimately decide this is probably your only shot at a rifle ram in CO and want to go guided, they'll get you a shot at a ram.

OP
R

rbprince

FNG
I've heard nothing but good things about Sangre De Cristo Outfitters and looks like they've put folks on some big rams. I'll keep them in mind as the clock winds down, but gotta try the DYI.

OP
R

rbprince

FNG
Were you able to get the high lakes this past weekend?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Were you able to get the high lakes this past weekend?

Oops sorry forgot to check in, a bit below 12k the trail went along the northern edge of a ridge and in the trees was easily 3’ of snow pack still. I would have bushwhacked on top solo but my 9yr old in sneakers wasn’t too into it after a bit so we spun around. I think as soon as the trail came around that northern edge it would have been melted out. But a couple weeks and should be clear I think.

OP
R

rbprince

FNG
Oops sorry forgot to check in, a bit below 12k the trail went along the northern edge of a ridge and in the trees was easily 3’ of snow pack still. I would have bushwhacked on top solo but my 9yr old in sneakers wasn’t too into it after a bit so we spun around. I think as soon as the trail came around that northern edge it would have been melted out. But a couple weeks and should be clear I think.
Thanks for the update. How was the fishing?

OP
R

rbprince

FNG
Anyone out there have pics of some of the rams taken out of S9 ? Trying to get an idea of what would be considered a good ram out of that unit.

geoman99

FNG
Good luck. I'm also a S9 tag holder. I was out scouting the northern part of the CPW Summer concentration area this weekend and spent a few days glassing from high and did not see any sheep or any good sign for sheep. Not sure how accurate the CPW kills sites are, but from what I saw this weekend, I'll be spending more time to the south.