Colorado Winterkill?

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
let me just clarify, I'm saying deer belly deep, not my belly deep. I did talk to a biologist friend down that way though and it sounds like they are getting the same melt off we are. Opening up some of the range on Southern ute, etc...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We've seen temps in the 80's the last two days in SE Colorado. I'm sure it's also warmer than usual elsewhere around the state. Now it's time for some serious Spring snows.

Grand Junction area has been flirting with 60's and yesterday's rain melted a bunch of snow. The south facing Bookcliffs are pretty much burned off. Headed to Granby next week so I'll keep tabs on whatever winter range we go through - I expect State Bridge and Middle Park are still rough, but they almost always are. Tough deer in that country.

chindits

WKR
Well my perspective was that this started with lengthy subzero weather and consistent snows from DEC to early FEB. I thought we had a fare amount of snow down low, but a while back I went up high and I was unimpressed with the snow depth and the warmer temps above tree line. I think the cold weather and the snow down low on the winter range was significant in our area. The critters aren't looking at historical records to compare if this winter was as tough as past winters. However, this spat of warm weather was a blessing and seeing burned off south slopes for the first time this winter is promising. I hope it holds steady as I imagine the critters burned off a fare amount of weight early in the winter and a second bout of heavy deep snow with crusting would be a significant challenge. Cow calves should be dropping soon so one can only expect cold windy weather to accompany that for some reason.