Colorado with 6 points

Scottf270

WKR
Looking for opinions on what to do with my points. Want to start hunting Colorado but need to use these first.

Gotta buddy who's hunted eastern plains with outfitter. Usually only takes 1-3 to draw there. Been looking for a trespass fee diy hunt on plains, but they are booked up.

Realize I don't have a ton of points, but don't wanna waste them either. But not really interested in building points. Want to use these wisely and develop contacts and or a strategy to hunt Colorado as often as I can.

Can't afford a $6,000 hunt all the time but good outfitter suggestions are welcome as are pm's.

Firestone

WKR
There are lots of great units you could get with 6 points. I would say if you aren't real sure on your longterm plans, joining a place like epic outdoors or huntinfool would be a cheap investment. Being able to ask Jason Carter questions and getting an honest answer seems like a pretty good deal for 100 bucks. Especially if it's about BIG mule deer.

Many of the western Colorado units aren't worth 1 point. CPW has waged war on the bucks in the name of controlling CWD, doubling and even tripling the tags year to year for 3rd and 4th season. Be careful with your research, data and hunt reports from even a few years ago won't accurately reflect the wholesale deer slaughter that has been going on for the last few years.

The NW units in particular are a complete dumpster fire regarding quality and age class of bucks. Every year there's a couple great bucks killed in CO and that's not going to change, but the number of quality bucks is in the shitter and getting flushed repeatedly under the current management priorities. CPW has prioritized the elimination of older age class deer because they feel the mature bucks are the biggest spreader of CWD, hence the huge increases in 3rd and 4th season tags as that's the easiest time to kill an older buck.

If you're going to be happy with a 18" 3 point buck after you burn 6 points, disregard everything I posted.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Lots and lots of good 3rd season tags you can draw. Do some research on the gf website on hunt success, population estimates and public land. And don’t be afraid to apply for something that takes 2 or 3 points below what you have if you find something you like

OP
S

Scottf270

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I just didn't want to miss a chance at say a "high country" hunt and regret using more points than necessary. Good advice.

Elkrunner

FNG
If you are in shape and looking for tough but rewarding hunt- look at unit 74 early deer rifle. Starts in early September before muzzleloader season. Deer will be in high alpine basins still in velvet. You will make memories to last a lifetime

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
If you are in shape and looking for tough but rewarding hunt- look at unit 74 early deer rifle. Starts in early September before muzzleloader season. Deer will be in high alpine basins still in velvet. You will make memories to last a lifetime
He isn’t going to draw 74 early with 6 NR points. Took 15 NR points this year