Colorado wolves released today

KsRancher

WKR
I have a busy fall planned. Each of my boys should draw 4th season muley and my brother 1st season elk. Going to try and get in some good hunts in 2024 and 2025. Hopefully before they hurt the population too bad.

UncleBone

WKR
After being pressured about wolf whereabouts, CPW is going to start releasing a map of the wolves' past month of activity on the 4th Wednesday of every month. This initial map shows their movements from December 18th to January 22nd.

Collared Gray Wolf Activity Map
Interesting way to show where they have been. Doesnt really give any specific info at all, juat a very very broad area. Also interesting to know their collars record a position every 4 hours and is sent to cpw every 4 recordings.

intunegp

WKR
Interesting way to show where they have been. Doesnt really give any specific info at all, juat a very very broad area. Also interesting to know their collars record a position every 4 hours and is sent to cpw every 4 recordings.

Agreed. HUC 10 level watersheds typically range from 62 to 390 square miles. So one wolf can get recorded one time in a 390 square mile area and it's going to be added to the map.

How many wolves have they released now? No plan in place to have seasons on the wolves?

Ugh.

12 wolves so far, they've secured rights to trap 15 more. No plan in place and likely never will be.

Sled

WKR
Only 10 have been 'released' - the other 2 mentioned are from the existing North Park pack.
Those 2 others are the ones that keep chewing on one ranchers stock for the last couple years. The state won't do anything about it.

How many wolves have they released now? No plan in place to have seasons on the wolves?

Ugh.

EVERYONE needs to give this a listen if you haven’t already. The implications of this CO wolf deal has the potential to affect hunting in EVERY STATE. This goes far beyond potential wolf or grizzly bear seasons. It time to get involved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
EVERYONE needs to give this a listen if you haven’t already. The implications of this CO wolf deal has the potential to affect hunting in EVERY STATE. This goes far beyond potential wolf or grizzly bear seasons. It time to get involved!

Can I have the cliffs notes?

Can I have the cliffs notes?

Watch this 4 minute video.

The groups behind this ballot box initiative are using CO as a testing ground to play with legal language that will then get implemented in other states/nationally. They’re essentially throwing the spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks. The end of this video touches on it…the podcast goes in for the deep dive. Dan Gates with Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management is the tip of the spear, and really the only organization that’s fighting this stuff and pushing back where it matters. This is the most important hunting related information you’ll listen to. Originally I thought this was a regional issue. I’m now convinced that this legitimately COULD BE is the beginning of the end for big game hunting unless we get involved. It’s our fight to lose, and we’re about to find out what sportsmen are made of in the next 5-10 years. Time to put our time/money where our mouth is.

Last week on my way home from work, driving through Hotchkiss there were 6 identical CPW vehicles parked at the burger joint right off the highway. I did not see any cages etc. in any of them. But I just found the whole thing suspicious... That many fleet vehicles all together in the middle of the week, my suspicion is they were possibly scouting out release spots. I've lived around here my entire life and drive that road every day and have never seen more than 1 CPW vehicle at a time, let alone a whole fleet of matching vehicles.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Supposedly, according to CPW and numerous press releases, no more wolves will be released until Dec 2024 - March 2025. Seems CPW knows they have work to do to regain "trust" with the western slope.

To be clear, I don't fault them, they are being forced to do this against their own scientific conclusions. The people pulling the strings are at fault for the rushed release, the selection of depredating wolves, the ballot measure in the first place etc... etc...

Bl704

WKR
Last week on my way home from work, driving through Hotchkiss there were 6 identical CPW vehicles parked at the burger joint right off the highway. I did not see any cages etc. in any of them. But I just found the whole thing suspicious... That many fleet vehicles all together in the middle of the week, my suspicion is they were possibly scouting out release spots. I've lived around here my entire life and drive that road every day and have never seen more than 1 CPW vehicle at a time, let alone a whole fleet of matching vehicles.

I think I had read an article indicating Gunnison was a potential future release area...