Colorado wolves released today

49ereric

WKR
I'm a hunter and I dont hate wolves.
I personally don't know any who do.

I'd like those who hate wolves to speak up and explain why.
Wolf haters are rampant here but I am not one. Bunch of wolf hater meetings in Mn currently scheduled.IMG_7904.jpeg

Hnthrdr

WKR
I'm a hunter and I dont hate wolves.
I personally don't know any who do.

I'd like those who hate wolves to speak up and explain why.
I would say there is less hate in me for the “wolf” they are an animal who does their thing just like other animals, I sure don’t hate coyotes, lions, or bears my blood pressure rises for the way they are being used as a tool or weapon by anti hunter/ enviro-nazis… the dishonesty that side uses, the moving of the goal posts ect…

Flyjunky

WKR
I would say there is less hate in me for the “wolf” they are an animal who does their thing just like other animals, I sure don’t hate coyotes, lions, or bears my blood pressure rises for the way they are being used as a tool or weapon by anti hunter/ enviro-nazis… the dishonesty that side uses, the moving of the goal posts ect…
☝️

I’ve thought about this a lot and I don’t think I could in good conscience gutshot a wolf. It’s not their fault some shit birds forced them to come here. They’re just doing what they were born to do. Now, if I was in Wyoming I’d have no problem killing one.

I’ve thought about this a lot and I don’t think I could in good conscience gutshot a wolf. It’s not their fault some shit birds forced them to come here. They’re just doing what they were born to do. Now, if I was in Wyoming I’d have no problem killing one.
I agree with you but suggest they might be viewed as a similar to a savage and dangerous dog. It's the owner who is at fault, just as in this case it's the "experts'" fault. The dangerous dog pays the price. In this case the wolf pays the price. No, it's not fair but it's what needs to be done.

Granted each person needs to weigh the risk/reward for themselves. And with the technology being used to protect them it's risky as all get out.

Thankfully now, in my area (MT) we can legally shoot them which eliminates the personal risk. In fact, I think we can each shoot five per season.

Used to be they dropped strychnine-laced meat around the perimeter of NFS land. Funny how the "science" has changed.

mt100gr.

WKR
I agree with you but suggest they might be viewed as a similar to a savage and dangerous dog. It's the owner who is at fault, just as in this case it's the "experts'" fault. The dangerous dog pays the price. In this case the wolf pays the price. No, it's not fair but it's what needs to be done.

Granted each person needs to weigh the risk/reward for themselves. And with the technology being used to protect them it's risky as all get out.

Thankfully now, in my area (MT) we can legally shoot them which eliminates the personal risk. In fact, I think we can each shoot five per season.

Used to be they dropped strychnine-laced meat around the perimeter of NFS land. Funny how the "science" has changed.
We can shoot them. But shooting them is damn difficult. I've spent probably 50+ days specifically hunting wolves in western MT the last few winters and am always a step behind. I have gobs of trail cam pics, kill pics, etc, but can not get the drop on them. Some do, though....

And the squeeze is on in MT, too. Trapping season was shortened by a month this winter and night hunting on private land no longer allows thermal or infrared. (New this year) I'll bet baiting gets the axe next year. Then reverse the legal use of snares. And then....

Hnthrdr

WKR
We can shoot them. But shooting them is damn difficult. I've spent probably 50+ days specifically hunting wolves in western MT the last few winters and am always a step behind. I have gobs of trail cam pics, kill pics, etc, but can not get the drop on them. Some do, though....

And the squeeze is on in MT, too. Trapping season was shortened by a month this winter and night hunting on private land no longer allows thermal or infrared. (New this year) I'll bet baiting gets the axe next year. Then reverse the legal use of snares. And then....
These states fill up with people from other places and they ruin what they ran to

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I live and hunt within 50 miles of the SWA release site, and as disgusted as I am, I agree (speaking for myself).

Hating a wolf, is nonsensical.

Hating the system, makes perfect sense.
I agree that the system is garbage. This rant isn't directed at you but I have to say it.

I am 3 miles from the release.... I don't hate wolves, I hate ballot box biology and the Front Range flipping the bird to everyone that doesn't agree with them on the wolf issue. There seems to be some misconception by your average pro wolf voter than anyone that said no is siding with the "ranchers". Really, the majority of "ranchers" are people with a few acres and a couple head of cattle or horses as a hobby. These people can't train or afford livestock dogs or watch their animals 24/7.

We manage big game animals for what value they can bring to humans. Its honestly from my observations how we manage almost any resource. Wolves provide no real benefit that I can find and shaky evidence at best.. Placing them here is a complete waste of money and additional emotional stress for lots of people. If this state actually cared about "wolves changing ecosystems for the better" mantra, they would be placed in Estes or Grand Lake.

People voted on something that that did not effect them but will have impacts on others hundreds of miles away. The people funding this state's wildlife (hunters, fishers) were told to go f themselves and their voices silenced by an uneducated majority with absolutely no skin in the game except the pleasure of living in Colorado.

/rant

mt100gr.

WKR
These states fill up with people from other places and they ruin what they ran to
This, and very very few people pursue predators. Lots of vocal opposition and outcry, but it's damn quiet in the woods after general season in MT. Granted, access is difficult if there's much snow at all, but I actually prefer the solitude of the late winter opportunity. I'm trying to improve my predator hunting tactics and equipment and have begun something of a transition - apply for and hunt the limited draws, a trip or two for bucks and bulls with buddies for fun, but focus on a cow for the freezer, maybe a backyard white tail, and as much predator hunting as I can get away with. That's a year round hunting season!😉

Scottyboy

WKR
Wolf haters are rampant here but I am not one. Bunch of wolf hater meetings in Mn currently scheduled.View attachment 645591
I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a “wolf hater meeting”. It’s more why does Hennepin county get to rule what happens when the issue doesn’t affect them; exactly what happened in CO. We are 2x? 3x? Our population goal and have been for many years. If you are from here, I’m sure you saw the countless new articles about the incredibly slow/low deer harvest this year. Was it all due to wolves? Of course not. Are they impacting hunting in general in the northern part of the state? I would lean more yes than no. And this was also in a year we would over harvest our deer goal being the crossbow was made legal for anyone..

If you are local to any of these meetings I would encourage you to go (with an open mind). If you are closer to the cities, I believe there will be one in St Cloud. (I am in no way affiliated with H4H, just to be clear on that I guess)

ColoradoV

WKR
Talked w some friends and seems the doggo's are moving rather quickly nw heading to the great state of Wyoming..

The group of 5 was seen yesterday and have moved about 25 miles nw of the release site towards the big town of Phippsberg...

If they keep moving that direction and don't stop or change course = they will be in Wyoming in 2-3 days..

49ereric

WKR
I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a “wolf hater meeting”. It’s more why does Hennepin county get to rule what happens when the issue doesn’t affect them; exactly what happened in CO. We are 2x? 3x? Our population goal and have been for many years. If you are from here, I’m sure you saw the countless new articles about the incredibly slow/low deer harvest this year. Was it all due to wolves? Of course not. Are they impacting hunting in general in the northern part of the state? I would lean more yes than no. And this was also in a year we would over harvest our deer goal being the crossbow was made legal for anyone..

If you are local to any of these meetings I would encourage you to go (with an open mind). If you are closer to the cities, I believe there will be one in St Cloud. (I am in no way affiliated with H4H, just to be clear on that I guess)
No way I would go cuz I know the fact-less scenario will prevail.
truth is deer weren’t seen cuz they didn't move normally for some reason this season.
no ground scrapes anywhere in my small hunting area but after dark bucks were seen.
balsam bough pickers always disrupt the deer movement a neighbor says cuz his trail camera photos hits go way down. Could several reasons why a lower harvest and 3 bad winters did hurt the deer survival rate.

Talked w some friends and seems the doggo's are moving rather quickly nw heading to the great state of Wyoming..

The group of 5 was seen yesterday and have moved about 25 miles nw of the release site towards the big town of Phippsberg...

If they keep moving that direction and don't stop or change course = they will be in Wyoming in 2-3 days..
Bears have a tendency to show back up to the place they were moved from. You have to ask what’s pulling them in a northerly direction so quickly?