Colorado youth mule deer

brushape

WKR
I’m trying to understand how the draw works for youth hunters and if there is any preference for them. The unit I would like to apply my daughter for it doesn’t look like any nonresident youth have applied in a few years. She has zero points and it takes 1-2 points for adults and 1 for resident youth. What are her chances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckleeves

WKR
If it’s a antlerless or ES tag then youth get a minimum of 15% of tags. If you look in the recap you will see how many youth tags were available up in the “quota” section under “youth preference”

If it’s a M code (buck tag) then there isn’t any youth preference. On the recap it will just show up as N/A under youth preference. If that’s the case then you would just use the non-res (assuming you are a non-res) adult odds.

OP
B

brushape

WKR
If it’s a antlerless or ES tag then youth get a minimum of 15% of tags. If you look in the recap you will see how many youth tags were available up in the “quota” section under “youth preference”

If it’s a M code (buck tag) then there isn’t any youth preference. On the recap it will just show up as N/A under youth preference. If that’s the case then you would just use the non-res (assuming you are a non-res) adult odds.

Right on thank you!

I’m trying to understand how the draw works for youth hunters and if there is any preference for them. The unit I would like to apply my daughter for it doesn’t look like any nonresident youth have applied in a few years. She has zero points and it takes 1-2 points for adults and 1 for resident youth. What are her chances

The secondary draw is where it is at for youth in Colorado! They get 100% preference. Depending on how many tags are returned or unpaid for. The odds can get pretty good on some amazing hunts. It’s straight lottery 8 youth hunters and 4 tags is 50% draw success on a tag that could have taken any number of points. Best deal in Colorado.

God bless and keep trying
Allen

OP
B

brushape

WKR
The secondary draw is where it is at for youth in Colorado! They get 100% preference. Depending on how many tags are returned or unpaid for. The odds can get pretty good on some amazing hunts. It’s straight lottery 8 youth hunters and 4 tags is 50% draw success on a tag that could have taken any number of points. Best deal in Colorado.

God bless and keep trying
Allen

Ya I’ve been following those hunts for sure she can’t apply this year since she’s only 10 but next year we will be all in since she will be 12 by the time the season opens

Colorado is a great state for youth hunting. In addition to the 15% antlerless/either sex tags set aside for youth across the board, there are some units that have youth preference set at 50% for antlerless deer. The leftover draw is really where they are set if they want to draw a "better" tag, as previously mentioned. There are always great tags listed that my friends have no shot as adults - but I'd be happy to serve as guide/pack mule for my kids.

Also - read up on the extended season option for youth antlerless deer and elk tags. They could theoretically hunt from archery through later rifle seasons until they fill their tag. Read through the Big Game Brochure in detail as many of these tags allow youth to hunt in multiple units too. This will be my son's first year out and I made sure to capitalize on an extended season tag to give him ample opportunities.

We talked about going back for the late season elk hunt last year. It’s a 13 hour drive and we decided not to. This season is my oldest Son’s last year on a youth tag. I hope we can find him some success. We have found some nice bucks both season we have hunted but only had elk tags. We had elk the first season but we kept cliffing out on the stalks. He had a 4x3 bull at 410 yards broadside but I wouldn’t let him shoot that far. Since that first season we have practiced quite a bit to expand our capabilities.