Combo Bow/Rifle case for Air Travel

deef56

FNG
Have a spring bear hunt out west planned for this coming season; I have never flown with a firearm before, so I will be purchasing a new case for this trip. However, I am also in the market for a new durable bow case that would be primarily my every day case in the back of the truck and used for cross country trips, and possibly air travel as well. I would rather spend more money up front for a good combo case than buy (2) different cases. I have read the reviews on this forum for the following bow cases, but have not seen anyone mention using for a dual rifle case. I run a Tika T3X Lite Roughtech that is just shy of 45" OAL for reference (24" barrel). I am in the southeast so the bow hunting is mainly white tails with the case in the back of my truck cab every day during season, and the occasional out of town trip.

Would like a case that i can put extra gear/clothes in to save space in my other checked bags if needed. Hoping the carry on would be a yeti backpack of meat..... It might be best to have (2) separate cases, so if anyone has experience doubling up, please let me know.

Pelican 1745BOW Air Bow Case - $480
- Interior Dims: 46.69"L x 16.77"W x 7.94" deep
- Pros:
  1. Appears to fit perfect need for a every day bow case with specifically designed bow straps/bungees/cuts
  2. Dimensions allow me to fit a rifle or multiple if required. Would likely need to modify the molle system and bungees to secure a rifle
  3. Enough room to stuff full of extra gear/clothing to max out weight for flying.
- Cons:
  1. $480.... could buy a lot of practice ammo with the extra money if I got a different case
  2. Bow specific requires some strapping/molle adaptors that I will have to figure out once I Purchase. Maybe even additional foam.
  3. 24 lbs empty weight is a little heavy for an every day case

SKB 5014-6 Target/Long Bow Case - $480
Interior Dims: 47.5"L x 13.5"W x 4" deep
- Pros & Cons
  1. Basically the same as above. Same cost, similar bow specific cutouts.
  2. Only 4" deep inside vs the 8" on the Pelican.

SKB - Other double rifle/bow kits
  1. Not bow specific for every day use.
  2. Cheaper
  3. Can do multiple foam setups for rifle/bow as needed with additional foam purchase.

SKB Cases 3i-4719-DB iSeries Double Bow Case, Large, Black​

I have one of these guys. Not as tough, expensive or heavy as a pelican.

it will handle 2 guns but you may have to go diagonal. 2 bows is fine But you may have to pull off some gadgets like stabilizers and quivers. i took a bow and a tikka with a 24” barrel out west in it this year. It worked fine.

You have to be careful on weight. It starts at 30#. A bow and a gun plus some other crap can put you over 50# quick.

I have pulled the foam out and used clothes ans what not as padding with only one gun or bow and it will haul a lot but you have to watch the weight.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at the Pelican Vault 730 or 800. I have a 730 and it's worked well for my trips. I haven't flown with a bow, but I have used it for my disassembled shotgun. I typically pull the foam out and pack it with everything I can.