Common courtesy and decency

4BarN

FNG
Where and why have we lost this? I rarely post but enjoy reading and learning from everyone on this forum. This morning I read a string that makes my blood boil. A member posted seeking advice on a piece of equipment. The question was general in nature. He instantly got lit up about the vagueness of his question. One guy goes as far as to basically call him lazy and how dare him waste everyone’s time because he didn’t do his own research first. I see other posts where guys get admonished for seeking guidance on some topic before they provide “value” to the forum.

Please help me understand why we can’t, as a community here, be respectful and just answer people’s questions without being jacka$$&$ about it and having to earn it? Isn’t that the spirit and intent of this place? For us, as a communal resource, to provide value and advice without strings attached?

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
LOL! You think it`s bad here? Spend a little time over on Sniper`s Hide. Some of those guys appear to take a lot of pride in being anonymous cyber bullies. In particular, try to ask questions or start a discussion about ANYTHING pertaining to Savage, they`ll call you everything but a child of God, to include four letter expletives. I don`t pay any attention to them, but I can see where some folks might not return to that site that could benefit from the information that`s there.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Where and why have we lost this? I rarely post but enjoy reading and learning from everyone on this forum. This morning I read a string that makes my blood boil. A member posted seeking advice on a piece of equipment. The question was general in nature. He instantly got lit up about the vagueness of his question. One guy goes as far as to basically call him lazy and how dare him waste everyone’s time because he didn’t do his own research first. I see other posts where guys get admonished for seeking guidance on some topic before they provide “value” to the forum.

Please help me understand why we can’t, as a community here, be respectful and just answer people’s questions without being jacka$$&$ about it and having to earn it? Isn’t that the spirit and intent of this place? For us, as a communal resource, to provide value and advice without strings attached?
We try to catch all those negative posts and eliminate the culprits. But we can't catch them all. Anytime you see crap like that, feel free to send a link to one of the Mods, and we'll check it out.

Our goal is to keep this place positive and welcoming.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
It seems to mirror society. Lots of people on the verge of being triggered all the time for the most trivial things. The longer I am in sales and have to deal with the general public, the more I am sure that general decency and politeness are a thing of the past.

S.Clancy

WKR

I think part of it is some of these guys obviously never use the search function. Alot of the questions get answered 500x. Another is the difference between consumers and producers, if you never add value, you are just taking value that others have. Finally, some people just like to be trolls.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider

Common core... No child left behind...

7mm-08

WKR
Communicating through a keyboard has become the norm and not for the improvement of our social skills or society. What I can safely say is that most people don't have the balls to say to your face what they would say through a computer communication. While I agree with Mr. Crossley that the moderators here are proactive and conscientious, I've read aggressive and derogatory messages on this very forum that would get you a punch in the nose if the writer was face to face with the person with whom they were communicating. Decorum, sadly, has gone out of style to all of our detriment. The OP's statements are well taken - if you can't be constructive and responsive to an issue or question, please just pause and move on without typing something confrontational or demeaning.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
One thing a lot of people don't understand is that it actually helps Rokslide every time another thread is posted asking the same question that has been asked 500 times. The more times a topic is brought up here, the higher we rank on search engines such as Google. Each thread helps drive traffic to the site and the more traffic we get, the more likely we keep our sponsors that keep this place running.

Rich M

WKR
A bunch of folks come on, ask a question and then vanish - never participating. That's what some want to avoid.

The forums can be fun but this one is losing it's charm these days. You can either post that you walked 100 miles scouting and get accolades or you can ask about conditions and get slammed.

We have plenty of posts on here where folks are getting flamed for asking about hunting units. No unit #s allowed or you might get "banned" by the moderators. There are some members who are real quick to stomp out the folks asking the questions - it reflects poorly on the forum - and hunters in general.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I would agree with one of the above posters is reflection on society in general and the current trend.
Think it’s kind of snowball effect people just get fed up and everyone is defensive and spills everywhere

I see both sides, we can all be nicer, but along with that comes the fact that a lot of people these days don't bother to do any research or put in even the smallest amount of effort whatsoever on XYZ Topic.

They want their questions answered but don't want to use any of their time to answer the question.

Example: Posting a question about hunting regs when the answer can easily be found by looking at the states regs themselves.

I see both sides, we can all be nicer, but along with that comes the fact that a lot of people these days don't bother to do any research or put in even the smallest amount of effort whatsoever on XYZ Topic.

They want their questions answered but don't want to use any of their time to answer the question.

Example: Posting a question about hunting regs when the answer can easily be found by looking at the states regs themselves.

Sometimes. Some state regs read like VCR programming instructions, others are pretty cut and dry.

I'm currently researching a topic of my own regarding a hunit unit and have found very little on it that I know someone on RS has good knowledge of.