Compact spotter

slimbw3

FNG
I have searched and can’t find the real experience answer. I’m in the market for a compact spotter for western hunting. If there are no new options presented at SHOT, I have my eye on the newer Vortex mini razor and the Kowa 553. Thoughts from folks who had tested or used both side by side would be appreciated. Let me know if I missed another option. High end isn’t in my budget. TIA!

Have you checked into the new Swarovski ATCs and STCs? They're compacts as well. I'm a fan of the Kowa 553/554s, but I'm hearing great things about the new Swaros.

OP
S

slimbw3

FNG
Just online and I would love to buy one but that’s outta my price range.

Just online and I would love to buy one but that’s outta my price range.
they are not that much more than the kowa

I have used the kowa and owned the little razor, the kowa is in a different league, and this wouldn’t be a difficult decision at all, but both will be dark in low light

Sounds like this is where the little swaro passes up kowa.

I didn’t find the little razor useful at all, I wouldn’t mind owning the kowa but I personally wouldn’t spend 2k on it, the little swaro sounds like it’s in a different league, and performs much better in low light

OP
S

slimbw3

FNG
they are not that much more than the kowa

I have used the kowa and owned the little razor, the kowa is in a different league, and this wouldn’t be a difficult decision at all, but both will be dark in low light

Sounds like this is where the little swaro passes up kowa.

I didn’t find the little razor useful at all, I wouldn’t mind owning the kowa but I personally wouldn’t spend 2k on it, the little swaro sounds like it’s in a different league, and performs much better in low light
Thanks for the feedback. What is it about the Kowa that puts it a step above the mini razor? I know the magnification is a bit more. Are we talking clarity/crispness?

Firestone

WKR
I have both the vortex and the kowa. And have used both of them a lot. The kowas glass is better and does better in low light, the vortex has a better fov. The small swarovski is better then both. I recommend saving a little extra cash and getting the swarovski.

Edit I have the older vortex 50mm not the newer one. I haven't looked through the new one

Thanks for the feedback. What is it about the Kowa that puts it a step above the mini razor? I know the magnification is a bit more. Are we talking clarity/crispness?
Yeah, clarity and crispness for sure, especially in the higher mag range, and just using it, the razor eye cups suck

OP
S

slimbw3

FNG
@slimbw3 have you seen this review? https://www.rokslide.com/vortex-razor-hd-13-39x56mm-spotting-scope-review/

Travis told me it's his favorite upgrade for 2023. You can listen for yourself here if you have some time to kill- https://www.rokslide.com/2023-rokslide-staff-and-moderator-favorite-gear-picks/

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
@realunlucky I now have read that review and is on par with most reviews I’ve read. Thanks for sharing. I should just quit wondering and go with the Vortex but would hate to spend the cash and regret not giving the Kowa a fair shake. I love but also hate reviews as personal preference and self validation obscure the objectively of a review which I why I ask my fellow hunters with experience on rokslide.

Sneaker

FNG
Jay Scott recently did a podcast about with the go hunt optics guy and they covered lightweight/compact spotter topic. I don't have any personally.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
@realunlucky I now have read that review and is on par with most reviews I’ve read. Thanks for sharing. I should just quit wondering and go with the Vortex but would hate to spend the cash and regret not giving the Kowa a fair shake. I love but also hate reviews as personal preference and self validation obscure the objectively of a review which I why I ask my fellow hunters with experience on rokslide.
Personally now you have narrowed it down, call @Rent Outdoor Gear and rent both the kowa and vortex and compare them side by side. Use thier keeper program to keep your favorite and the rental fees will apply to the purchase price of the spotter.

So simple https://rentoutdoorgear.com/product-category/shop-rentals/spotting-scopes/

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk