Compact spotter

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jay Scott recently did a podcast about with the go hunt optics guy and they covered lightweight/compact spotter topic. I don't have any personally.
With all the respect to Cody, our staff here has used and tested all the in class spotting scopes. Plus side is you can ask and comment on the review for the widest prospective. Go to the review article and click comment here and the staff member will answer any questions about it. We also
likely talked about on the Rokcast podcast.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Sneaker

FNG
With all the respect to Cody, our staff here has used and tested all the in class spotting scopes. Plus side is you can ask and comment on the review for the widest prospective. Go to the review article and click comment here and the staff member will answer any questions about it. We also
likely talked about on the Rokcast podcast.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Oh wow, nice, as you can tell, I'm brand new here, still figuring out the rokslide world haha.

OP
S

slimbw3

FNG
Is Vortex really that bad?
Yes. You will use the warranty at some point.

My buddies eye piece snapped off his razor spotter just turning the zoom while we were sitting on the side of a mountain. I then watched him dial his vortex riflescope and proceed to miss a bedded deer twice. The first shot missed so high that the deer stayed bedded. Pretty sure this was a scope failure and not a shooting issue as I have see him kill animals previously with his "less fancy" rifle. He didn't think either of these situations were as amusing as I did.

Then another buddy had a bino failure.

Sample size is small but more than enough for me to never own a vortex product.

Plus all the horror stories on the internet. But hey, they warranteed your product!

If someone gave me a vortex product as a gift I would throw it in the trash.

conradhp

FNG
Far out man
Yes. You will use the warranty at some point.

My buddies eye piece snapped off his razor spotter just turning the zoom while we were sitting on the side of a mountain. I then watched him dial his vortex riflescope and proceed to miss a bedded deer twice. The first shot missed so high that the deer stayed bedded. Pretty sure this was a scope failure and not a shooting issue as I have see him kill animals previously with his "less fancy" rifle. He didn't think either of these situations were as amusing as I did.

Then another buddy had a bino failure.

Sample size is small but more than enough for me to never own a vortex product.

Plus all the horror stories on the internet. But hey, they warranteed your product!

If someone gave me a vortex product as a gift I would throw it in the

Buzby

WKR
All of the angled mini spotters are missing a rotating mount. Seems to miss half the point of an angled spotter.

twall13

WKR
All of the angled mini spotters are missing a rotating mount. Seems to miss half the point of an angled spotter.
I agree with you, it's annoying enough at times that I've considered selling my Kowa to pick up a straight model. That said, while I haven't used it personally, Aziak Equipment came out with a mount that allows the Kowa to rotate.

Still, it's stupid that I'd have to spend extra money and add more weight than an integrated rotating collar to get the same functionality for a compact scope.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

conradhp

FNG
I agree with you, it's annoying enough at times that I've considered selling my Kowa to pick up a straight model. That said, while I haven't used it personally, Aziak Equipment came out with a mount that allows the Kowa to rotate.

Still, it's stupid that I'd have to spend extra money and add more weight than an integrated rotating collar to get the same functionality for a compact scope.

Is it only the minis that are missing this?

twall13

WKR
Is it only the minis that are missing this?
Most of the bigger angled spotters come with a built in rotating collar, in fact I can't think of a 65 mm+ scope that doesn't, though they could certainly be out there. It's the compact, little scopes where they tend to leave it out in what I assume is an attempt to cut the weight down.

I have searched and can’t find the real experience answer. I’m in the market for a compact spotter for western hunting. If there are no new options presented at SHOT, I have my eye on the newer Vortex mini razor and the Kowa 553. Thoughts from folks who had tested or used both side by side would be appreciated. Let me know if I missed another option. High end isn’t in my budget. TIA!
I used the kowa 55 prominar straight-thru model. While I really liked the handling of it, especially the focuser. I personally found the view too dim at the high power end. That said, the view did seem sharp. It was hard to tell because I felt like the dimming of the image created an illusion of sharpness. But I tested it out reading small construction signs across the river and have to say I was impressed.

OP
S

slimbw3

FNG
I used the kowa 55 prominar straight-thru model. While I really liked the handling of it, especially the focuser. I personally found the view too dim at the high power end. That said, the view did seem sharp. It was hard to tell because I felt like the dimming of the image created an illusion of sharpness. But I tested it out reading small construction signs across the river and have to say I was impressed.
Thanks for your feedback! I’m guessing the Vortex is too new to have multiple side by side comparisons. I’m still on the fence and probably will be until after SHOT. I read there maybe compact spotters being introduced at SHOT. No first hand knowledge on that just read it.

BCsteve

WKR
Depending on the price point you're looking at the Athlon Ares 65 is easier on the wallet and often compared optically to the Vortex Razor line. Its very compact for a 65mm. Lots of positive reviews here and on YouTube.