compare tipi's

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got the 5 set up today. I will get some pictures up in a little bit. The only thing I would like to see is more guy lines, and I will point that out in the pictures.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is a picture of the Vertex 5. The guy standing next to it is 6' tall.

I am going to post a full review up on my blog. Will post links to that later, I don't want to hijack Rokslide for that.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 114

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Oval shaped. Plenty of space to lay down and get stretched out. I layed down and had more than enough room @ 6'5".

OP
B

bearguide

do you think the 6.5 ti goat is to big or would you go with the 5 / the 6.5 is still light

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't have any experience with the 6.5, but in my mind it just comes down to how much space you want, vs. weight savings, etc. If I was going to have two people and the wood burning stove, there is no way to do that in the 5.

I am all about weight savings, and if I go bigger than the 5 I would want it to be a hunt with a partner. The 6.5 with aluminum pole is comparable in weight to a couple of the 2 person tents from Hilleberg, all based on web advertised weight. And roughly the same price points....

luke moffat

Super Moderator
BearGuide,

If I were to order a tent from TI Goat it'd be the 7.5. Its only 2.75 pounds for the tent, plus another half pound for the stakes still only 3.5 pounds. Then just run 2 trekking poles together for the center pole and rock on for only 3.5 pounds or add a inner nest for less than a pound and have 133 sq ft of space for less than 4.5 pounds. Hard to compare that weight to a hilleberg as the hilleberg has about a 1/3 the space of a 7.5 Vertex anyways though. If looking for 2 people the Vertex 5 would be a bit tight especially if you wanted to run a inner nest to keep the bugs at bay if you are sleeping. Being as its smaller than the GoLite SL3 (it should be though as it is 3 oz less) it'd be quite cozy even for my wife and I for a 10 day hunt chasing sheep. The larger size tipis are MUCH more space for a minimal weight pentaly. Nearly triple the space for only double the weight roughly.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's going to be tight in the 5 for two, but doable. I haven't been in a spot to ditch the pole yet and use a tree, but it has the hook up, which would be nice to not have the pole in the middle.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Just ditch the pole and use your trekking poles. I really don't need them until I get the extra weight of a critter in my pack and then I am packing up camp and heading out anyways so I can use them again there. :D

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What do you use to attach them? I just struggle with trusting the stability in the wind.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well generally I try to camp out of the wind, but they seem to work fine in a 30-35 mph wind. Working on getting a video on the tipi/trekking pole/nest thing here so it should explain it a bit better than typing it out on here.

6x6

FNG
I currently have a 6.5. It is perfect for two and gear with the stove. I considered the 5 when I bought, but for the slight weight penalty, I decided on the 6.5 and haven't had a second thought. I did go with the carbon fiber pole to save weight, and this last year, I went with the titanium stove pipe which saves quite a bit of weight as well if your packing the stove.

OP
B

bearguide

thanks for the input / i like the 6.5 right now buy i am still looking