Consistently wrong balistic calculator

j43097

FNG
Looking for insight in using a ballistic calculator.
I'm shooting hand loads in 300 wm 200 gr eldx with h100 78.5gr and getting 2950fps. I am consistently getting significantly high calculations. For example the Hornady app recommends 7.7 moa elevation. But I'm getting hits with dial setting of 5.25. I have been very deliberate with getting environmental settings correct. This has been true for multiple apps. Obviously I am missing something. Is there some thing easily overlooked that would explain it.

OP
J

j43097

FNG
Using a Caldwell chrono. Bit I guess I don't have a second to verifying

OP
J

j43097

FNG
I believe I have my bore height correct. I was thinking my zero could be off but I just checked that tonight and it's good

Could be a few things-

Have you verified tracking on the scope?

I have not had good luck with Caldwells being accurate. From a sample size of one?

Is the altitude/pressure m/atmospherics correct in the ballistic app ?

OP
J

j43097

FNG
I had to true mine in Strelok. Zero then shoot at a distance ( i did 500 yds) and enter the “true” adjustments for that yardage and that load. Once i got the true’d adjustment all the other yardages fell in place
You can do that...... that is exactly the kind of insight I was looking for

OP
J

j43097

FNG
Could be a few things-

I have not had good luck with Caldwells being accurate. From a sample size of one?

Have not verified tracking Another excellent suggestion thank you

C.payne

WKR
I am currently having a similar issue but I have to constantly add elevation clicks to get impacts. I thought it was possibly my crono but after lots of load development research (many people with similar load recipes getting similar velocities) I’m sure my crono is correct. I am shooting at 2960 FPS but to get correct elevation dope I need to use 2820 FPS
On my last outing to the range I’m certain it has to be my scope. I bet the clicks are not a true .25 MOA. Also my return to zero has always seemed to wander as well.
Guess it’s time for a serious upgrade!

WRO

WKR
I am currently having a similar issue but I have to constantly add elevation clicks to get impacts. I thought it was possibly my crono but after lots of load development research (many people with similar load recipes getting similar velocities) I’m sure my crono is correct. I am shooting at 2960 FPS but to get correct elevation dope I need to use 2820 FPS
On my last outing to the range I’m certain it has to be my scope. I bet the clicks are not a true .25 MOA. Also my return to zero has always seemed to wander as well.
Guess it’s time for a serious upgrade!
Yup, let me guess Leupold or vortex..

Last edited:

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m betting it’s a velocity issue and once you “true” your velocity that’ll bring you back into the ballpark of where you should be. I ran into the same issue until I trued my velocity at 450 and again at 900. One I gave the app the actual hit data at those ranges, it corrected it across the board

z987k

WKR
Could be a few things-

With the way the Caldwell chrono works if it's not perfectly and I mean perfectly level with your bore, it'll be off.
That's almost impossible to acheive.

This is one of many threads lately where an optical product that is sold by a slide sponsor has failed. Clearly we aren't getting the the manufacturers attention as consumers.

@gr8fuldoug have you talked to leupold or vortex to tell them that they're losing sales, market share and reputation because there scopes don't track or hold zero when shot, torqued or dropped?