Consistently wrong balistic calculator

This is one of many threads lately where an optical product that is sold by a slide sponsor has failed. Clearly we aren't getting the the manufacturers attention as consumers.

@gr8fuldoug have you talked to leupold or vortex to tell them that they're losing sales, market share and reputation because there scopes don't track or hold zero when shot, torqued or dropped?
They do not care; for every one WKR that care there are thousands of folks that are quite satisfied. Despite using these "defective" scopes, tens of thousands of hunters somehow find a way to still fill their freezer and get antlers/horns on their walls each and every year. Even on this site, the perceived general attitude swung back to loving the "failed" scopes not long after the push for a "drop tested and approved" scope (which was a huge PSA and much needed).

For me personally, those vendors are non-considerations for any future scope purchase. Moreso with their sizable price increase (ex: LHT +$200-300) there is no point as they lost their "value proposition" argument.

And there's this in one of their warranties which would explicitly exclude someone from drop testing their scope:
The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.

I bet the rokslide sponsors care about the lost sales and stagnant inventory, hence my question.

Last edited:
OP
J

j43097

FNG
how repeatable is the 13% error?
Yup. its always been 100% consistent, it just would never match with a ballistic calculator. I have my confirmed values for 100- 600 yards written. Worked well over the weekend perfect heart shot on a mule deer at 400. I just want to be able to use a calculator instead of extrapolating. The other down side being the sub tension on my reticle will not be consistent with dialing. I suppose I could just use my reticle with the calculator but it was an expensive scope and I want it to work.

WCB

WKR
small potatoes but it is more like a 10% error. Scope is MOA you measured inches. Still way too much

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
I was getting my butt kicked by a similar issue recently and a friend had to sort me out. I had both the sight height and zero height set, zero height had to be 0. I use the Applied Ballistics app.

Yup. its always been 100% consistent, it just would never match with a ballistic calculator. I have my confirmed values for 100- 600 yards written. Worked well over the weekend perfect heart shot on a mule deer at 400. I just want to be able to use a calculator instead of extrapolating. The other down side being the sub tension on my reticle will not be consistent with dialing. I suppose I could just use my reticle with the calculator but it was an expensive scope and I want it to work.

Sounds like there are other issues with data in the ballistic calc or the error is not consistent through the scope adjustments because 5.25 MOA to 7.7 MOA is a long ways off from a consistent 10% error.

Total error through 19 MOA of travel dialed may not be at a consistent rate throughout the 19 MOA.

OP
J

j43097

FNG
Sounds like there are other issues with data in the ballistic calc or the error is not consistent through the scope adjustments because 5.25 MOA to 7.7 MOA is a long ways off from a consistent 10% error.

Total error through 19 MOA of travel dialed may not be at a consistent rate throughout the 19 MOA.
I got what your saying. No I'm not sure it is a consistent predictable error through say 30 MOA of dialing. I don't think I could add a compensation into the ballistic app to make it work. I just seem to be able to return to the same dialed value with consistent hits under similar conditions. There may be other issue in the calculation as well but I'm not gonna chase it now that I know the scope is not going to stick around anyway.

Is it consistant through the entire range of your adjustments, or does it start getting wonky after you have it cranked up a bit?

Had a 12x SS that drove me nuts for a bit, as it was fine out to a certain point. Then the adjustments were not even close.

OP
J

j43097

FNG
Well its certainly wonky in every adjustment not just the large value ones. But i haven't gone through and calculated the difference at each MOA of adjustment. not willing to waste that much ammo. Just needed to know the scope was the problem.

I understand that part. Just don't do what I did. Take the scope off and put it on the shelf. Forget all about its problems. A year later bolt it onto another rifle and start all over ....