Cooking elk steaks

rlmmarine

WKR
Looking for different ways of cooking elk steaks. I'd lie to have your all opinion I'd I'm going to give it a try
Thanks in advance

87TT

WKR
Chicken fried (good for breakfast or dinner). Swiss steak., Teriyaki strips on a bamboo skewer, shish kabob.

Azone

WKR
Coat them with olive oil then season with kosher salt, black pepper and granulated garlic. If you like rosemary add a pinch of that in the mix, but don't go overboard with it, rosemary has a tendency to be over powering in my opinion. Cook them over a hot fire of oak wood or mesquite charcoal till internal temp is 125 ish degrees, let em rest a few minutes then dig in. Everyone's taste and preferences are different but venison should never be cooked past medium on the grill. At my house if you dont eat it rare or medium rare, there's some ham and bologna in the fridge to make sandwiches with because I'm not in the business of ruining venison.

Last edited:
This was a piece of elk backstrap I made for a party a few months ago. I forgot to take a picture of it finished because it was literally gone in a few minutes. It was wrapped completely with the bacon.
I butterfly cut a pocket into it. Applied seasoning inside and out to the backstrap rubbed with olive oil. Sautéed chopped onions and jalapeños. Mixed them with cream cheese and stuffed it. Wrapped with bacon. Smoked it for an hour on the Treager and then finished it on the Oak BBQ pit until medium rare and bacon was done.

Attachments

• 797E732D-147F-4755-8C7A-09C4278F21C3.jpeg
    797E732D-147F-4755-8C7A-09C4278F21C3.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Azone

WKR
This was a piece of elk backstrap I made for a party a few months ago. I forgot to take a picture of it finished because it was literally gone in a few minutes. It was wrapped completely with the bacon.
I butterfly cut a pocket into it. Applied seasoning inside and out to the backstrap rubbed with olive oil. Sautéed chopped onions and jalapeños. Mixed them with cream cheese and stuffed it. Wrapped with bacon. Smoked it for an hour on the Treager and then finished it on the Oak BBQ pit until medium rare and bacon was done.

What's your address and when is the next party?
My father in law has done something similar to that before, but he overcooks it big time, like well done type crap. I always thought if it was cooked medium rare or medium it would be amazing.
Well I guess I know what will be on my menu tonight or tomorrow night.

Slice about 1/4" and marinate in rosemary/garlic/olive oil or lime/peppers/cilantro/olive oil then grill hot and fast. Serve with tortillas and chimicurri.

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
Looks like salt pepper rubbed in olive oil and a pench of rosemary is the consensus ive been marinating in alegro precooking back half way rapping the bacon around the backstraps and cooking the meat until the bacon is cooked leaving the meat a medium rare but im going to try your alls tonight thank you

jmcd22

WKR
Any steak, in my opinion, doesn't need anything more than salt, pepper, and garlic. If it needs more than that, it isn't a good steak.

Are you bbqing them? If so, I highly recommend these guys. I cook on a charcoal grill and a pellet grill and have a set for each. These things do such a good job getting an even cook and searing at extremely high temperatures. I'll toss some elk steaks on this for about 2-3 minutes a side and that's all it needs!

https://www.grillgrate.com/

Best seasoning I have ever had. I literally put this on everything. Just salt, pepper and garlic.

https://howtobbqright.myshopify.com/products/killer-hogs-the-a-p-rub

MikeDaily

FNG
Is it sacrilegious to use some oil and Montreal steak spice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just lightly dredge in seasoned flour (Cajun spice usually) and fry in a med-hot cast iron skillet until good seared crust forms, flip, repeat, serve. On rare occasions of leftovers slice thinly and recycle into fajitas or tacos.

I cook on a wood burning pit using Red oak and local seasoning mix. Even hot dogs and hamburgers are better on a real wood fire.

Attachments

• 93467012-A58C-46CB-9038-D95DBBAFEAD3.jpeg
    93467012-A58C-46CB-9038-D95DBBAFEAD3.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 98D2F3F3-BB9C-428E-94A8-668466BE6CB6.jpeg
    98D2F3F3-BB9C-428E-94A8-668466BE6CB6.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 63
OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
Any steak, in my opinion, doesn't need anything more than salt, pepper, and garlic. If it needs more than that, it isn't a good steak.

Are you bbqing them? If so, I highly recommend these guys. I cook on a charcoal grill and a pellet grill and have a set for each. These things do such a good job getting an even cook and searing at extremely high temperatures. I'll toss some elk steaks on this for about 2-3 minutes a side and that's all it needs!

https://www.grillgrate.com/

Best seasoning I have ever had. I literally put this on everything. Just salt, pepper and garlic.

https://howtobbqright.myshopify.com/products/killer-hogs-the-a-p-rub
How die they hold up over time
Looks promising

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
I just lightly dredge in seasoned flour (Cajun spice usually) and fry in a med-hot cast iron skillet until good seared crust forms, flip, repeat, serve. On rare occasions of leftovers slice thinly and recycle into fajitas or tacos.
How thick a cut due you have ill have to give this one a try

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
Well we cooked them with salt pepper olive oil and rosemary
My wife went back and added alegro we.cooked for.a.couple of minutes one each side and they were delicious thanks everyone and ill try a few.of.the other ideas later.next week
Thanks again