Coolers?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having multiple smaller coolers makes sense to me. I like the concept of one large cooler but you need at least one other person to move them in and out of a truck. I use 2 55 qt coolers and they held my mule deer just fine. If I could position one of the super large coolers on a trailer where I didn’t have to move it-I might go that route though.

Blandry

WKR
Thanks for the input guys.. there have been several times a I thought to myself that I could really use a good legit 65qt cooler, but then I just wonder if its something I'd really use much and I never pull the trigger.. but RTIC are on sale right now so its got me thinking again..

Follow up question about Igloo coolers.. anyone know the difference between the Marine coolers and the MaxCold coolers? Academy has a "152qt MaxCold", Sam's Club has a "150qt MaxCold" for a bit cheaper but it doesnt have latches, and Walmart has a "150qt Marine 7-day"?
If it was me, I would walk into the store and pick them both up, see how they handle and weight, then buy the lighter, easier to store one. You're only going to need a kill/meat cooler to cool for a few days and you can keep adding ice so that's a non issue. Buy the lighter, easier to handle one, with wheels if they have it.

You also have to think about where you're going to store that big SOB at home :)

I bought the little pelican elite for camping trips and other week long stuff where I might not want or need to add ice. I also dont keep my food/drinks with my meat (or fish when I lived on the gulf).

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
I use big cooler, the one that meat will eventually go in, and I use it to carry gear. Mostly the backup gear, stuff I'm less likely to need or mess with. Then if I kill something, all that gear comes out and the meat goes in and the truck is a mess but I'm headed home. I don't buy large quantities of ice until I kill something. I've killed two bulls on hot early September days and never lost any meat to spoilage, just hustle to town and buy ice then.

I also use a smaller quality cooler with ice for stuff like frozen meals for car camping, milk/creamer for coffee, and beer.

I've been doing this ^^ for decades and it just works. Simple, cheap, and easy.

Tmac

WKR
Lots of good hard cooler ideas here. I do something different for cooler weather hunts. I hang the game to fully chill overnight, then bone it and place in unscented garbage bags, drop it in a soft fish kill bag with a couple blocks of ice (also in bags) on top. The soft fish kill bag is so much easier to pack while empty, and even while full, and works very well to keep already cold meat cold. The insulation in the bags is not something I’d trust for hot weather hunts, unless I added more ice and had access to more. Most have about 1/2” closed cell foam.

Blandry

WKR
Lots of good hard cooler ideas here. I do something different for cooler weather hunts. I hang the game to fully chill overnight, then bone it and place in unscented garbage bags, drop it in a soft fish kill bag with a couple blocks of ice (also in bags) on top. The soft fish kill bag is so much easier to pack while empty, and even while full, and works very well to keep already cold meat cold. The insulation in the bags is not something I’d trust for hot weather hunts, unless I added more ice and had access to more. Most have about 1/2” closed cell foam.
simple is best! people overthink this stuff

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like the concept of one large cooler but you need at least one other person to move them in and out of a truck.
Unless you get one that is long. Then you only have to lift one end at a time. One person can pull it to the tailgate, pick up one end, and lay it down on the ground. Then grab the other end and set it down. Putting it back in the truck, just reverse that procedure. My 200qt cooler is about 60" wide, so does well with this procedure. And the tailgate is "tall" on my F-350. Or you just leave it in the back of the truck all season like I do. I have a topper.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Having multiple smaller coolers makes sense to me. I like the concept of one large cooler but you need at least one other person to move them in and out of a truck. I use 2 55 qt coolers and they held my mule deer just fine. If I could position one of the super large coolers on a trailer where I didn’t have to move it-I might go that route though.
I took the small coolers advice and got a 70QT Pelican and 60QT Rovr. I haven't gone elk hunting yet but I would need one more when the time comes. Or I could just borrow a buddy's for that since these damn things take up space

Jimss

WKR
I have giant cooler that will fit the biggest boned critter I will likely ever harvest so it covers every species. In my case it would be bull moose or elk. It’s always nice to have a 2nd cooler for food. I generally stuff my biggest cooler with bulky gear when not cooling meat because it takes up so much room.

I guess a lot depends on how much room you have in your truck, camper, etc. Its also nice to have additional space for large capes that need to be kept cold.

It’s always nice to have more cooler space than neede rather than the other way around!

I use a 150 qt to haul my tent. Once at camp I use the cooler as dry storage for food. I use a 65 qt for cold foods. If transporting meat, I then use the 150 and the tent packs separate.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
if you have a hi lift tailgate on a 3/4 truck this thing is invaluable if you work and hunt alone. It will get anything you need into the bed, Love mine. Also have the tilt and go.

That could come in handy at home, but I certainly wouldn't want to be hauling that thing to elk camp. Already have too much stuff I haul in. I don't even bring my Hi-Lift jack anymore.

Blandry

WKR
That's true, its mainly useful for just a short or day trip. It does require a bit of bed space. I have thrown over 400lbs on it and swiveled it into the bed by myself. it's very useful in certain situations.