Cooper Discoverer STT PRO vs S/T Maxx

Looking at new tires for the truck as the BFG AT TA KO are at the end of their life. We have a truck camper, so I am looking at tires that will allow me to haul our camper (need 3750lb per tire). Looking at both these tires. Similarly priced for 285/75r16.

I have nearly new winter studs, but they are not rated high enough to put the camper on and we'd like to use it some in the winter for weekend trips on the ski hill which means some slick roads.

Anyone have experience with either of these tires in both winter conditions (snow and Ice) and offroad hunting situations?

Vandy321

WKR
For a true winter rated tire that fits that bill, what about the Mickey Thompson BAJA MTZ P3? I can't find a better all around tire. If a true mud tire was the goal, the STT Pro would rank high, but they aren't great on ice/snow.

OP
silverbullet555
Mickey Thompson BAJA MTZ P3

I'll take a look at those. Truthfully, I'm not sure which direction I want to go. I don't want to not take the camper to the ski hill because the roads are slick so I should probably just invest in some studded tires that will handle the weight. Then invest in a new set of tires for the rest of the year.

Vandy321

WKR
Baja MTZ’e have been discontinued. You can probably still find a set of you hurry. They are a darn good tire.
I just priced out a new set a few days ago, they have it up on the Mickey Thompson website still...where are you seeing that?

MTZ P3 that is...did it used to be just the MTZ?

Either way OP, it's the happy place between a mud and all terrain, with a winter rating. (Edit, it appears the MTZ P3 is not winter rated...could swore it was, but dint see it noted on the site anymore)

Last edited:
Seriously? That’s what Americas Tire told me when I tried to order a set a month ago or so. I went another route in case I needed to warranty a tire. But it looks like you’re right, they still show on the MT site, though the do look a bit different. I stand corrected. Dang it.

Vandy321

WKR
Seriously? That’s what Americas Tire told me when I tried to order a set a month ago or so. I went another route in case I needed to warranty a tire. But it looks like you’re right, they still show on the MT site, though the do look a bit different. I stand corrected. Dang it.
The Baja Boss M/T is there as well as the Baja Boss A/T and the MTZ p3. Wasn't trying to correct, just figured I was incorrect and looking to see what i missed

Fatcamp

WKR
If it has Baja in the name its probably not a winter tire, lol.

I have the S/T Maxx on my 4runner. No concerns. It has handled mud, snow, ice and highway travel well. That said, I don't hunt the mountains.

My F250 has Toyo AT. Those have worked well in all conditions, and have hauled weight like a champ.

Mosby

WKR
I used to buy Cooper's exclusively for my Suburbans and I liked them. I had a set of the ST Max and had no complaints. I don't think I had the Pro's specifically. I never had a problem with Cooper's. I hunted in Colorado and Idaho with them in snow and mud and went up some pretty rough jeep trails without any problems.

Vandy321

WKR
If it has Baja in the name its probably not a winter tire, lol.

I have the S/T Maxx on my 4runner. No concerns. It has handled mud, snow, ice and highway travel well. That said, I don't hunt the mountains.

My F250 has Toyo AT. Those have worked well in all conditions, and have hauled weight like a champ.
Thats incorrect. So as not to spread misinformation based of a model name...

Juat got off the phone with Mickey T. A few of their Baja line are 3PMS (severe winter rated) mostly in the 12.5 and narrower A/T series.

Their MTZ and MT are not, however their MT is pretty heavily siped and would do better in snow based on that alone over a less siped mud terrain tire.

Neither the ST Maxx or STT Pro have a winter rating.

Screenshot_20220110-154825_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running Toyo Open Country ATIII. good traction in snow, mud, dirt, sand.

Fatcamp

WKR
Thats incorrect. So as not to spread misinformation based of a model name...

Juat got off the phone with Mickey T. A few of their Baja line are 3PMS (severe winter rated) mostly in the 12.5 and narrower A/T series.

Their MTZ and MT are not, however their MT is pretty heavily siped and would do better in snow based on that alone over a less siped mud terrain tire.

Neither the ST Maxx or STT Pro have a winter rating.

View attachment 366314

It was meant to be funny. ☹

I have a set of the ST pros on my GMC HD. They are good in dirt, mud and deep snow. They don’t wear for sh!$ though.

JFK

WKR
I’m getting ready to put tires on my truck. Currently have the BFG AT’s and pretty happy….have 60k+ miles on them and honestly could probably get another 10k miles but don’t like to run tires too low.

One tire that caught my eye is the cooper rugged trek. Pretty new and the tire shop had never even heard of them. Slightly cheaper than the BFGs by about $80 for the set where I’m at.

Those Falken AT’s are good too. Had them on my last truck and on my wife’s Jeep and they are always a good option.

EastMT

WKR
Looking at new tires for the truck as the BFG AT TA KO are at the end of their life. We have a truck camper, so I am looking at tires that will allow me to haul our camper (need 3750lb per tire). Looking at both these tires. Similarly priced for 285/75r16.

I have nearly new winter studs, but they are not rated high enough to put the camper on and we'd like to use it some in the winter for weekend trips on the ski hill which means some slick roads.

Anyone have experience with either of these tires in both winter conditions (snow and Ice) and offroad hunting situations?

I’ve worked for and tested most brands of off-road and mud tires in the mining industry, Coopers are my go to. Knock on wood, 200,000 miles in Alaska, Montana with no flats.

STT Pro if you spend more time in mud/deep snow, STT Maxx if you have a lot of sharp gravel.

I have pictures somewhere of a Maxx with no tread or rubber left, only cords showing and was still running on an underground mine truck. Maxx is un paralleled in rock puncture prevention and we tried all the big names, documented repairs and cost per mile.

I’ve been using the Cooper AT3 XLT on a 2500hd, at 50,000 miles with 9/32nds of tread left with 1/2 mileage in Alaska 1/2 in Montana. I have not tested the Cooper Rugged Tech with the snow sipes in them, but I am planning on it next round

Warrior27

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the S/T Maxx on a previous truck. I thought they did well in mud/snow (not a lot of off-roading). I think they look aggressive without a lot of road noise.