Cost allocation Q? on my first 1-K target/contest "build"

I’ve been wanting to build a 1000-yd target rifle for a while but could never justify the $$$$$ for the TRG-42 that I’ve wanted since 1999(!). I’ve read too much on the Slide and other interweb resources. Also, I’m locked in the middle of nowhere and have another life so I’m not really in touch with any active PRS guys. So, maybe youse guys can help with a judgement call.

• I’m gonna just grab a fat-barreled production rifle in 6.5CM and get building.
  • Scope will be ~4-20x, F1, turrets and subs, demonstrated durability and solid return to zero/tracking. Weight generally is not an issue and glass quality will be good enough if the other attributes are met.
  • The future holds coaching and games, a muzzy break, bipod, accessories, dies, hopefully wearing out the barrel and one of those fancy-pants all-metal chassis, but probably not another action or new cartridge.
The QUESTIONs is …
  • Is it silly to put a $3000 scope in a $400 mount on top of a $1000 rifle? (MSRP/New prices)
  • Is this $$ allocation all out of whack?
  • Why, or why not?

Thanks in advance for your advice, RS.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PS. I started down this rat hole looking at rifle components, then prices, so the above isn’t a preconceived/arbitrary budget, it’s an as-built cost, with some details reserved.

PPS. I have I considered other ways to cut down the cost like putting an aftermarket chassis under the kids’ 243 T3X or the 7mm-08 Micro-Midas, or even repurposing the 300wsm elk carbine but … they have short and skinny barrels, pretty wood, or “the kids, ya know”, etc.

@Broz

@Formidilosus

@TK-421

@Please don’t take it personally if you’re not listed.

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
Savage 111-115 long range can be had for 650.00, they shoot, but they ain't pretty to look at.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For my NRL Hunter rifle, I run an Atacr in a spuhr mount on top of a 700. It shoots just like the other guy's rifles so there is really no setback there. Get a good optic to start and you can continue upgrading your rifle as you go! I would stick with the 700 platforms because if you get addicted (which you will) you can then just sell your barreled action and upgrade!

I bought a Tikka stainless 20" CTR in 6.5CM, put it in a Manners stock, plopped Vortex rings and a Vortex Razor 3-18 on it, shoot factory loads at 1/4 MOA, and have taken that gun to 1,422yds where the spotter was at the edge of being able to spot the bullet trace.

You can absolutely put a $3k scope on a $1k rifle if you're talking something like a Tikka, because they absolutely shoot. But a $3k scope is waaay more than is needed; you can get an Athlon or used Razor or Bushnell LRHS2 or whatever and shoot 1,600yds.

I'm selling that Tikka and scope right now (and sold my Sig Cross) because I built a Bighorn Origin action in a Manners stock with two barrels since I do more hunting than benchrest and the new gun fills both roles. But that Tikka is an absolute laser beam with a lot of support, drop in barrels, stocks & chassis, and it has a very nice feel.

Also just as a heads up, 1,000yds isn't necessarily that far. You can do that with .308, 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor, etc. with good match bullets. It's fun to be able to do that stuff on occasion but I mostly just shoot in the 600yd range, I think it's more fun most of the time.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been wanting to build a 1000-yd target rifle for a while but could never justify the $$$$$ for the TRG-42 that I’ve wanted since 1999(!). I’ve read too much on the Slide and other interweb resources. Also, I’m locked in the middle of nowhere and have another life so I’m not really in touch with any active PRS guys. So, maybe youse guys can help with a judgement call.

• I’m gonna just grab a fat-barreled production rifle in 6.5CM and get building.
  • Scope will be ~4-20x, F1, turrets and subs, demonstrated durability and solid return to zero/tracking. Weight generally is not an issue and glass quality will be good enough if the other attributes are met.
  • The future holds coaching and games, a muzzy break, bipod, accessories, dies, hopefully wearing out the barrel and one of those fancy-pants all-metal chassis, but probably not another action or new cartridge.
The QUESTIONs is …
  • Is it silly to put a $3000 scope in a $400 mount on top of a $1000 rifle? (MSRP/New prices)
  • Is this $$ allocation all out of whack?
  • Why, or why not?

Thanks in advance for your advice, RS.

PS. I started down this rat hole looking at rifle components, then prices, so the above isn’t a preconceived/arbitrary budget, it’s an as-built cost, with some details reserved.

PPS. I have I considered other ways to cut down the cost like putting an aftermarket chassis under the kids’ 243 T3X or the 7mm-08 Micro-Midas, or even repurposing the 300wsm elk carbine but … they have short and skinny barrels, pretty wood, or “the kids, ya know”, etc.

@Broz

@Formidilosus

@TK-421

@Please don’t take it personally if you’re not listed.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
You don't need to spend 3k on a scope. I've ran just about every scope made. Schmidt and bender, vortex razors, nf atacr, nf nxs, Leopold Mark 5,
Zeiss, swaro, khales. Can't beat the Leupold Mark 5 for the money. Id definitely suggest a 400 spuhr mount.

Lots of different directions you can take. It sounds like the only thing that may stay constant is the action and scope. What I wouldn't do is make a savage action the cornerstone of your future improvements.

OP
R
Thanks guys for sharing your opinions. You all can track the "thumbs ups" to see I've been paying attention.

Obviously, I'm not trying to build something inexpensive. I really want to make sure that the spend ratio is the right way. For example, I'm pretty sure that spending $3500 on a custom built rifle and $500 on some airsoft tactic00! scope is too far the wrong way. I am also aware that this is a single equation with several variables, so there's lots of possible solutions.

Still reading, RS

OP
R
Got the rifle (LGS), scope (different time zone while traveling), and mount (next state over). ...

Scope mounted
Tall mount was too tall, had to start over with regular height​
20 MOA on the pic rail and 20/6 on the mount​
Scope/elevation dial has some creep... 0.1 mil high at 19 mil up on the tall dialing test​

Factory ammo selected (tried four brands and 6 cartriges)
10-round groups of 0.57 to 0.27 mil - choice was easy​
Was able to get a stash of the same lot before the factory blew up (RIP)​

RF binos/ballistic solution
Started with the calculator on the phone​
Environmentals from the "nearest weather station" (for now)​
Issues picking the wrong cartrige (doh!) and trying to figure out what mil adjustment to use in truing (from zero or from original solution? figured it out after dialing back to zero and tossing 5 more rounds)​
Uploaded to binos with "onboard weather sensors"​
Solution works at 200 & 300 yds.​
Next day first round hits on the 3"x4" plate at 300 & 200 yards.​

Next:
Adjust zero-stop​
Windage zero​
Wind estimating/rifle-mph/$80 Kestral 1000​
Finding somewhere longer than 300 yds (can't use the 1k range until I can be sure to hit the targets)​
Fundamentals​
Positions​
(All the easy stuff, right?)​
Pics or it didn't happen:
Here's a snapshot of the 300-yard group in 18 mph winds from ~270*
B-X says "0.18 mil group" whatever that means.​
ATZ instruction was 0.03 up and 0.92 left​
1697952935007.png
Cheers!

Got the rifle (LGS), scope (different time zone while traveling), and mount (next state over). ...

Scope mounted
Tall mount was too tall, had to start over with regular height​
20 MOA on the pic rail and 20/6 on the mount​
Scope/elevation dial has some creep... 0.1 mil high at 19 mil up on the tall dialing test​

Factory ammo selected (tried four brands and 6 cartriges)
10-round groups of 0.57 to 0.27 mil - choice was easy​
Was able to get a stash of the same lot before the factory blew up (RIP)​

RF binos/ballistic solution
Started with the calculator on the phone​
Environmentals from the "nearest weather station" (for now)​
Issues picking the wrong cartrige (doh!) and trying to figure out what mil adjustment to use in truing (from zero or from original solution? figured it out after dialing back to zero and tossing 5 more rounds)​
Uploaded to binos with "onboard weather sensors"​
Solution works at 200 & 300 yds.​
Next day first round hits on the 3"x4" plate at 300 & 200 yards.​

Next:
Adjust zero-stop​
Windage zero​
Wind estimating/rifle-mph/$80 Kestral 1000​
Finding somewhere longer than 300 yds (can't use the 1k range until I can be sure to hit the targets)​
Fundamentals​
Positions​
(All the easy stuff, right?)​
Pics or it didn't happen:
Here's a snapshot of the 300-yard group in 18 mph winds from ~270*
B-X says "0.18 mil group" whatever that means.​
ATZ instruction was 0.03 up and 0.92 left​
View attachment 616865
Cheers!

Well what'd ya get?

OP
R
B-14 HMR in 6.5CM (25% less than todays msrp)
NF 7-35x56 F1 mil-xt (demo price plus cash discount)
Spuhr SP4601C (30mm x 6mil) (bought two... the SP4602C was too tall)
H 140g ELDM (got a case the day before the accident)
Harbor Freight case (60% off)
Harris bipod 6"-9" (free! cuz it's 25 years old)
Revic binos (full retail price...)

Despite the recent grumbling about the B14, mine shoots better than I do.
The 15 mile washboard out to the club hasn't affected the zero. 🤞
Pretty pleased with myself and my gear compared to how I've done with the old magnum.

Last edited: