Cotton Carrier vs Peak Design

Wright406

WKR
Used both and got rid of the Peak. Nice idea but I shortly became unimpressed with how finicky it was to get out of the mount. Also it requires two hands. I much prefer the cotton since I can remove with one hand and there’s not mechanical objects to get filled with dirt and debris. The only downside to the cotton is that I can’t go from holster to tripod like I could with the Peak. Hope this helps.

WPFY543

FNG
How sturdy does the cotton carrier feel on a backpack strap? I am also looking at both and like the rigid attachment of the Peak where the cotton carrier seems 'softer' given the cloth and velcro attachment. No issues with cotton carrier staying in place?

bigjacs22

FNG
I have a cotton carrier. I actually took the side holster and attached it to the new sitka mountain bino harness and it works great. does not bounce around. i would reccomend this over the full chest strap, and compared to pack strap, it stays on my body without having to wear my pack.

RyanC

WKR
I've use my cotton carrier on my exo pack and it is very sturdy. I do not feel like it will fall or swing around too much. I also use it with the Universal Tripod Adapter Plate because I run an Outdoorsman Pan Head. Offsets the camera when mounted on the tripod but you get used to it. Good product.

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
I've used both and agree the Peak Design clip is a little difficult to use and requires two hands. The Cotton Carrier Skout is a great chest carrier and I've got a Strapshot on the way to attach to my pack or bino harness for this year's trip out west.

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Used both and got rid of the Peak. Nice idea but I shortly became unimpressed with how finicky it was to get out of the mount. Also it requires two hands. I much prefer the cotton since I can remove with one hand and there’s not mechanical objects to get filled with dirt and debris. The only downside to the cotton is that I can’t go from holster to tripod like I could with the Peak. Hope this helps.
What tripod head were you using with your peak designs? I quickly tried to get it to work with my VA-5 head and I don't think it will work. Which was a big selling point in being able to use it as a camera carried and throw it on the tripod without changing anything

What tripod head were you using with your peak designs? I quickly tried to get it to work with my VA-5 head and I don't think it will work. Which was a big selling point in being able to use it as a camera carried and throw it on the tripod without changing anything

The peak design plates work on the arca Swiss system (which the VA-5 is). The lever that clamps the head onto the plate can pull out and loosen. Mine was just slightly too tight to slide the peak design plate in, but once it’s let out just a bit, you can slide it in. Check out the VA5 owners manual for more info if that’s confusing, but I promise it works with the peak plates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
The peak design plates work on the arca Swiss system (which the VA-5 is). The lever that clamps the head onto the plate can pull out and loosen. Mine was just slightly too tight to slide the peak design plate in, but once it’s let out just a bit, you can slide it in. Check out the VA5 owners manual for more info if that’s confusing, but I promise it works with the peak plates!

Ya I knew about indexing the head. Found out that apparently the groves on the head were just dirty. I couldnt get the peak designs plate or a couple other different arca type plates to slide in. So I hit it with some REM oil and it worked flawlessly. Thanks for confirming that it works!

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
Resurrecting this thread as I am curious for some more current feedback. I just ordered the cotton carrier and trying to attach the strapshot to my pack harness makes me hate it already. I love the design, but I think they need smaller hardware. The cloth is too stiff and is extremely uncomfortable under the pack straps. How are you guys attaching it to make it function? Bonus points for pictures!

I attached my peak design clip to the CC universal adapter because it slides on my tripod head the wrong direction to angle the camera how I want.

I agree that the Peak is also annoying in the need for 2 hands, however, I do like the more streamlined design. If they could figure out how to keep it from sticking 70% of the time pulling it out, that'd be great.

Any tips I'd sure love to hear!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

I second the Cotton Carrier. I have used both systems and currently run several different model Cotton Carriers.

For anyone interested... you can save 10% off with coupon code SELFILMED

Learnt something

CodyVegas

FNG
I've always been a fan of the Peak Designs system because of its locking feature and the face that the plates are Arca compatible.