Covid yellowstone vacation

Captnky

FNG
Me and the wife were planning on doing a Yellowstone trip next month, but with the Rona it looks like a lot of the campgrounds are closed, the remaining camps fill up pretty quick each day. We were just doing a few days there as we make a loop out west.

If we strike out finding camping inside the park I’d imagine if we go to the National Forest outside the park we’d be able to find some primitive camping off the forest service roads? Anyone with any recent experience?

WCB

WKR
Not recent but I am around (not in it) yellowstone quit a bit most summers. You can find good camping outside the park. Depending how many days and how far you mind traveling to get to your camping spots you can pretty much be by yourselves and within 30 min or less to the park.

Just make sure you have something for bear encounters if you camp on National Forest lands close to the park.

ClearCreek

mlgc20

WKR
Going out the North Entrance in Gardiner, there are a ton of places to camp in the Custer Gallatin National Forest.

My good pal just left with a wife and 3 kids, hit me up again in about 10 days and I can get some updates for you

OP
Captnky

Captnky

FNG
Going out the North Entrance in Gardiner, there are a ton of places to camp in the Custer Gallatin National Forest.

Thanks for the tip, I think we are going to avoid that entrance as I believe Montana is requiring a 14 day quarantine. Looking to come in from the east in Wyoming.

wyosteve

WKR
From the east, there are several Forest Service campgrounds and Buffalo Bill State Park on your way to Cody.

Dcoryn

FNG
There is a pile of BLM ground just east of Cody (5 minutes outside of town) you can camp on. There is also a nice spot once you get out of the tetons to the south. Once you get to the intersection at Moran go east on highway 26/287 for about 8 miles, youll be right at "The Hatchet" resort but there is forest service road 30160 right near the entrance to the resort. There are some incredible spots up there to pull off and camp, youll have an incredible sunrise view of the tetons from right there... If you have any questions feel free to get ahold of me. I can point you in the direction of some good food or a few other spots

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Just returned from a 9 day trip. Only had reservations for 4 days before leaving. Was able to secure tent sites on the fly for the rest of trip but it got dicey at points.

There is a major road closing in the NE region. Forgot what it is called. Resulted in having a long drive around to some spots.

Some of the first come camp sites are closed for the season. And zero sites have showers available at this time.

Personally enjoyed staying in the tetons area more.