Cow hunt

Bkimble

FNG
Trying to plan a first trip out west and I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out the different states rules and drawing system.. I hunt a state that doesn’t draw so it’s all new to me.. originally we where wanting to do elk or mule deer but from what I have researched this is really challenging unless u want to put a lot of money up and then your still not gaurenteed to get a tag.. so with all that said we may just stick to what we know and go to Midwest for a whitetail hunt.. but my question is would we have a good shot at getting a cow elk tag closer to Midwest and what would be our best options if we where to carve out like 3 days of our trip to try to get a cow or 2 for the freezer since neither of us have ever ate elk.. we aren’t much on guided hunts or a outfitter we prefer public land or private in like a trespass fee style hunt/ semi guided… so I guess my question is should we just stick to the whitetail hunt for do we have a decent chance at a cow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
probably not . Google up the Jicarilla res hunt in NM. They have cow hunts that aren’t too $$ And res tags= no draw.

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
Good cow hunts are about as hard to find as bull hunts these days. If you do a little research on draw odds, success rates and the amount of public land where the elk will be when the tag is good for you should have a decent hunt.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 10.23.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 10.23.48 PM.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 11.08.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 11.08.18 PM.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
You may be able to purchase a guided private land cow hunt out West with good odds of shooting a cow. Success is unlikely in a DIY hunt, even on private land, if you only have 3 days. Save your time and $$ for a longer hunt if you want success with elk.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Looks like all the cow hunts are all draw now and start at $950 plus tag application and stamp and you have to hire a tribal member guide.
I have done several of these hunts. All but one time I was successful. Add tResized_20211104_141832.jpeghe cost of the guide, which you must have, There is a complete list of guides on the web page. Depending on the guide, you will pay per the day or a flat rate. Hunts are three or four days, three days reservation wide or four day for south unit, Figure on another $700-$1200 for guide, not including any tip. They field dress , then take elk to skinning shed to hang and skin. They have young help there who will bone out your elk for a fee. I have Paid, $100 for that.

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG
Thanks fellas.. yea I’m thinking I will stick with whitetail for 2025.. I’m going to start putting in for tags in Kentucky and hopefully draw there sometime in next five years to try elk hunting out for first time to see if I want to commit to a trip out west for them

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG
Yer going to draw an elk tag in Kentucky in the next few years ?

Well I stated I’m going to start putting in for tags and hopefully get drawn some Tim in next five years

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG
I heard there are 14k elk in Ky? Really?

Lol I will just stick to what I know with whitetail… this will be my last post on the elk forum… people would rather be smart ass keyboard warriors. Instead of helping someone new to the sport.. this is why I usually don’t join groups because people love to act more superior than others.. where I come from we help people anyway we can especially getting people into the outdoors and enjoying the outdoors the way we do.. but it’s obviously not like that everywhere which is unfortunate for the sport of hunting but it’s all good

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG
But thanks to everyone that was sincere and wanted to help

3 days likely isnt enough to even kill one cow on public unless you get straight up lucky in my opinion. In 22' i shot a cow after about 1 hour of hunting, first time in the unit and it wasnt a great unit. That isn't the norm tho

fmyth

WKR
I have done several of these hunts. All but one time I was successful. Add tView attachment 652800he cost of the guide, which you must have, There is a complete list of guides on the web page. Depending on the guide, you will pay per the day or a flat rate. Hunts are three or four days, three days reservation wide or four day for south unit, Figure on another $700-$1200 for guide, not including any tip. They field dress , then take elk to skinning shed to hang and skin. They have young help there who will bone out your elk for a fee. I have Paid, $100 for that.
Thank you for the input. Did you camp at one of the lakes or stay at the Wildhorse?

Agross

WKR
I wasn’t trying to be a “ smart as keyboard warrior” at all. Well maybe a tiny bit, but not really. Maybe I missed it, but are you a resident of Kentucky? If you are, isn’t it still pretty slim chances to draw? I thought it was a lot like Michigan. I actually put in for Kentucky elk and my odds as a non res are next to zero. I’ve been putting in in Michigan for 15 years and never drawn. I also have a buddy that got drawn on his second try. You never know but odds are stacked against you.
If you want elk hunting experience without a big price tag, I would suggest doing a semi guided in Montana or Colorado to get some experience. There is tons of info and reading on here to go through If you want. That’s part of the fun, is the planning. I’ve been on two elk hunts in Montana now. One was diy and one was semi guided, basically guided, and not seen a single elk while hunting. Pretty frustrating when it’s the hunt of yer dreams, but that’s hunting. I’ll try again in a couple years when I get some play money saved up. Good luck on yer search.

Matt5266

WKR
Definitely need to carve out more time if your coming out west. Even if your just looking for a couple cows.