CPW screwing Residents yet again….

What are conservation dollars?

Many Colorado residents have friends and family who we enjoy hunting with who do not have Colorado residency.
Commenting on how many dollars CPW would lose from the 10/15% decrease in tags no longer being sold to non-residents, if a 90/10 across the board was chosen, but not really understanding your point honestly.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Here's where you can send in your license distribution comments -

Message sent.

sndmn11

WKR
Commenting on how many dollars CPW would lose from the 10/15% decrease in tags no longer being sold to non-residents, if a 90/10 across the board was chosen, but not really understanding your point honestly.

I'm asking what "conservation dollars are". You typed out that term and I am curious to learn what it means.

My answer to your question of why 90/10 was not the leading choice by residents was bringing up the possibility that many Colorado residents have family and friends who are not Colorado residents. Their opinion on the matter may have been swayed by unselfishly thinking of those folks rather than wholly themself.

Rich M

WKR
Not sure what this had to do with your comment of Colorado respecting NR more than Res? Simply pointing out that Colorado doesn't respect hunters or their elk herds nearly as much as they respect the cash flow they generate. And which hunting group generates more cash? NR.
Gotcha, I read it a diff way. Agreed.

I'm asking what "conservation dollars are". You typed out that term and I am curious to learn what it means.

My answer to your question of why 90/10 was not the leading choice by residents was bringing up the possibility that many Colorado residents have family and friends who are not Colorado residents. Their opinion on the matter may have been swayed by unselfishly thinking of those folks rather than wholly themself.
Meant at a simple level how the dollars from tag sales SHOULD be being reinvested back into the landscape in some form or fashion. (obviously not always the case, but some is).

Good point on the 90/10 and I agree with that sentiment. Didn't connect the dots there on your first response. The scenario of liking 90/10 better i posted was more in relation to where do you draw the line? 75/25 not good enough even though it provides residents way more tags overall, so 80/20 should have been there, but what makes 80/20 the right option across the board?

Bluumoon

WKR
I can see your point here. My counter would be then why was 90/10 across the board less popular than 75/25? This would obviously be the most favorable to residents from a tag availability perspective, putting conservation dollars lost from non-res tag sales aside.
Because it wasn’t 90/10 across the board. Only for highly desirable units , but took away from residents in other areas.

Foldem

WKR
I can see your point here. My counter would be then why was 90/10 across the board less popular than 75/25? This would obviously be the most favorable to residents from a tag availability perspective, putting conservation dollars lost from non-res tag sales aside.
That was not an option in the survey. It was 90/10 for high demand and status quo for all others.

CO seems to respect the NR hunters more than some other states.

Some residents still play the victim card
What so many people seem to forget (or don't comprehend) is that the NR hunter contributes more than 75% of the overall fees generated by applications and licenses to the wildlife side of the CPW budget. It's almost $900 for a NR to draw an elk tag compared to about $100 for a resident. CPW absolutely needs the NR money for the wildlife side of the budget. Those are facts.

Foldem

WKR
Meant at a simple level how the dollars from tag sales SHOULD be being reinvested back into the landscape in some form or fashion. (obviously not always the case, but some is).

Good point on the 90/10 and I agree with that sentiment. Didn't connect the dots there on your first response. The scenario of liking 90/10 better i posted was more in relation to where do you draw the line? 75/25 not good enough even though it provides residents way more tags overall, so 80/20 should have been there, but what makes 80/20 the right option across the board?
Did you take the survey? It would have taken less time than you’ve spent commenting on this post.

sndmn11

WKR

I don't believe that much of funds goes into projects that benefit on the ground habitat restoration, law enforcement, or management. My friends who are wildlife officers have the same patrol areas as 10-20 years ago, the same officer density, etc. They do get new trucks more frequently, and more admin/customer service staff are added.

I contend that the notion of CPW needing NR money is a fallacy because it did the same job on a significantly lower budget for decades. The job has not changed one bit and can still be accomplished without spending bloat. "I've got $xxxxx I have to spend by the end of this quarter." is the bigger issue rather than being short.

There isn't a right answer for a group of stakeholders who have different aspirations. However, I don't think residents of any state are entitled to the wildlife of another state, and I'd be ok with no NR license allocation in CO like other states do.

There is a lot more than money going back to wildlife. Ever since the DOW took on Parks, it’s been a money pit. That’s not going to change so we deal with it. Saying non residents pay more is silly. Name one state that does not charge more. That’s the way it should be. I pay $450 in Kansas for one buck and one doe. The resident pays $32 for a buck and four does. It’s not equal and it should not be. If you want the priority in a particular state, move there. Well, except Colorado, we hate resident hunters and are at full capacity.

KsRancher

WKR
There is a lot more than money going back to wildlife. Ever since the DOW took on Parks, it’s been a money pit. That’s not going to change so we deal with it. Saying non residents pay more is silly. Name one state that does not charge more. That’s the way it should be. I pay $450 in Kansas for one buck and one doe. The resident pays $32 for a buck and four does. It’s not equal and it should not be. If you want the priority in a particular state, move there. Well, except Colorado, we hate resident hunters and are at full capacity.
It cost $132.50 for a resident to shoot 1 buck and 4 does in Ks

Overdrive

WKR
This whole topic of "CPW screwing the Residents" is absurd. I've never not been able to hunt Colorado. I will always advocate for the chance to hunt if you're a resident or non resident. I don't want to see our heritage go away because people want to go to a more restricted process to get a license, like making all tags draw. 75/25 split is more than fair in the draw units, leave OTC alone but CPW needs to evaluate the herd's much better for tag allocations. CPW still needs a balance of tags and herd count, so I've gone back and forth with caps or just leave OTC as is. I just don't want to see limited opportunity.

Things have certainly changed in Colorado over the years, I don't see as many Resident hunters as I use too in the areas I hunt. So having the Non Residents fill in that void doesn't bother me as it keeps my license fee's down and keeps the CPW funded. For the better of our heritage/sport I wish hunters would stop being such whiny B!*%#es. I hate to state the obvious but hunting is a choice. I

n 30+ years of hunting Colorado I've only felt crowded once and that was 2020 Spring Turkey OTC, and I figure that's because everyone wanted out of lock downs, since then it has dropped off 75-80% where I hunt. Big game I use any pressure to my advantage. I know Residents who are friends that don't understand the drawing process and they complain all the time that the Non Residents are getting all the licenses, I tried to explain the draw to them but they don't listen and still feel they are getting screwed,(it's a long story) I just laugh!!

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Where can I go as a CO resident to hunt deer or other big game OTC?
I don't believe that much of funds goes into projects that benefit on the ground habitat restoration, law enforcement, or management. My friends who are wildlife officers have the same patrol areas as 10-20 years ago, the same officer density, etc. They do get new trucks more frequently, and more admin/customer service staff are added.

I contend that the notion of CPW needing NR money is a fallacy because it did the same job on a significantly lower budget for decades. The job has not changed one bit and can still be accomplished without spending bloat. "I've got $xxxxx I have to spend by the end of this quarter." is the bigger issue rather than being short.

There isn't a right answer for a group of stakeholders who have different aspirations. However, I don't think residents of any state are entitled to the wildlife of another state, and I'd be ok with no NR license allocation in CO like other states do.
10-4... I agree its a fallacy that NR think that their tag fees fund CPW and it wouldn't exist without them. I would be interested to see a funding allocation for CPW. Granted if I recall, 2020 had $170 million in NR elk tags sold and I have never seen an officer in the field while hunting/fishing. And I live a stones throw from one of the offices.

I have a lot more to say on the subject, but NR hunters here think they are "owed" the right to hunt Colorado OTC and their own state. But the majority of the time, the inverse is not true for a Colorado resident to do the same in the NR's state. Colorado is where everyone goes when Plan A doesn't work out and its really showing its colors in the past few years. This state will get rid of OTC for R and NR in the next few years, so get it while it lasts.

KsRancher

WKR
This whole topic of "CPW screwing the Residents" is absurd. I've never not been able to hunt Colorado. I will always advocate for the chance to hunt if you're a resident or non resident. I don't want to see our heritage go away because people want to go to a more restricted process to get a license, like making all tags draw. 75/25 split is more than fair in the draw units, leave OTC alone but CPW needs to evaluate the herd's much better for tag allocations. CPW still needs a balance of tags and herd count, so I've gone back and forth with caps or just leave OTC as is. I just don't want to see limited opportunity.

Things have certainly changed in Colorado over the years, I don't see as many Resident hunters as I use too in the areas I hunt. So having the Non Residents fill in that void doesn't bother me as it keeps my license fee's down and keeps the CPW funded. For the better of our heritage/sport I wish hunters would stop being such whiny B!*%#es. I hate to state the obvious but hunting is a choice. I

n 30+ years of hunting Colorado I've only felt crowded once and that was 2020 Spring Turkey OTC, and I figure that's because everyone wanted out of lock downs, since then it has dropped off 75-80% where I hunt. Big game I use any pressure to my advantage. I know Residents who are friends that don't understand the drawing process and they complain all the time that the Non Residents are getting all the licenses, I tried to explain the draw to them but they don't listen and still feel they are getting screwed,(it's a long story) I just laugh!!
👍I like the way you look at it.