CPW screwing Residents yet again….

sacklunch

WKR
We respect people for various reasons. WY was gonna and possibly did hike the rates. CO doesn't seem to be doing that yet.

The lack of respect between hunters is why we're gonna lose the long game - too much infighting and jealousy. Us being stupid is gonna hurt our kids and grandkids.
Not sure what this had to do with your comment of Colorado respecting NR more than Res? Simply pointing out that Colorado doesn't respect hunters or their elk herds nearly as much as they respect the cash flow they generate. And which hunting group generates more cash? NR.

Bluumoon

WKR
So people overwhelmingly thought the 75/25 was better than the status quo (do nothing/current system) option, but you're claiming survey bias. Interesting.
They didn’t offer anything approaching other Western state quotas, so yes survey bias. Did you take the survey? It was pretty blatant. I’m paying to play in three other states this year, what’s wrong w asking for similar distribution in my home state?

The lower end units would see an increase in applications and points it would take to draw. My wife is sitting on a number of points. When our girls are older, she wants to use them. But, if point averaging came around, we would put in together for a lower tier unit and share the points since I burned mine last year.
Just like in Wyoming, there are ppl who buy points for family members or friends so they can average out, even if the other “hunter” doesn’t even plan on going.
And then your whole family would start back at zero

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
And then your whole family would start back at zero
Gonna start at zero regardless when she burns her points. Not like that would change. I would just be able to hunt a better unit faster, with my minimal points if point averaging happened.
No different than in WY with us. I’m sitting on 10 for lope and deer. If I go this year for antelope, then next year, I could average 4 with her and hunt again. This way we hunt two years in a row on 3 tags, instead of both drawing this year and hunting 2 tags. She doesn’t care about trophy hunting, so it’s a win/win.

f16jack

WKR
CO seems to respect the NR hunters more than some other states.
Not the case from where I sit. To put in for a non-res elk draw I had to buy a $100 small game license. That's a $100 fee that they collect from every non-res just to participate in the drawing. And if we aren't drawn for elk, we don't go to Colorado. But they keep the $100 bucks for the "required small game license." Theft by any other name is still theft. What a way to pad the coffers.
edit - It turns out the other states, Utah included, have this same behavior. I still find it objectionable.

Last edited:
Among other reasons, point averaging would create incentive to buy points for non-hunting family/friends, which would increase the total number of points in the system. Not everyone could afford to do that, but some hunters would willingly pay a few hundred bucks extra each year buying points for non-hunters to help themselves get tags in future years. How much that would actually affect point creep is anyone's guess, but such shenanigans do occur in states that allow point averaging.

Im very much against averaging points. As many have speculated. If passed i 100% will be buying PPs for wife, kid, non-hunting resident friends.
As CO resident ill spend few hundred bucks every year to have points to get ahead. And as a resident…burning cost of in-state tag cost is not an issue.
I really hope CPW NeVER passes averaging. But ill play the game if they do

Im very much against averaging points. As many have speculated. If passed i 100% will be buying PPs for wife, kid, non-hunting resident friends.
As CO resident ill spend few hundred bucks every year to have points to get ahead. And as a resident…burning cost of in-state tag cost is not an issue.
I really hope CPW NeVER passes averaging. But ill play the game if they do
Welcome to Rokslide! Nice 1st post!

svivian

WKR
Not the case from where I sit. To put in for a non-res elk draw I had to buy a $100 small game license. That's a $100 fee that they collect from every non-res just to participate in the drawing. And if we aren't drawn for elk, we don't go to Colorado. But they keep the $100 bucks for the "required small game license." Theft by any other name is still theft. What a way to pad the coffers.
You cant hunt Over the counter?

Edit: also name a state that doesnt have a cost of entry of some sort

PassCreek

FNG
It doesn't seem like anything has been decided. It'll be decided by the Commission so I'm not going to get aggravated (yet).

-Banking, I'd prefer No. Preference Point Creep is a bigger issue to me. I'd rather people use their points.
-PP Averaging, Hell No. I could see a lot of ways to abuse it. Yeck, I might abuse it to get my son a better tag.
-75/25. I think it's simpler than what they have now. As a resident, I'm not huge on screwing over Non-Residents. I know I'm in a minority.

Afhunter1

WKR
I don’t have a # on my hunters ed card so in most states I apply I just put in PA & 0000. It has always worked fine for me.

That’s about 12 states.

Foldem

WKR
So people overwhelmingly thought the 75/25 was better than the status quo (do nothing/current system) option, but you're claiming survey bias. Interesting.
It was, cpw set it up to get the answer they wanted. If 80/20 across the board had been an option (as it should have been) it would have overwhelmingly been supported over status quo.

Jethro

WKR
I like point averaging, but CO’s current tag return/refund policies are way too generous to allow averaging. Averaging does not help with point creep though.

f16jack

WKR
You cant hunt Over the counter?

Edit: also name a state that doesnt have a cost of entry of some sort
I'm happy to pay for the tag if I'm going to hunt. I'm happy to pay for the processing fees for the application. The $100 soak the applicant is not valid. It's a case of charging folks who have no say. Improper way for anyone to do business.

cnelk

WKR
I'm happy to pay for the tag if I'm going to hunt. I'm happy to pay for the processing fees for the application. The $100 soak the applicant is not valid. It's a case of charging folks who have no say. Improper way for anyone to do business.

In other states it’s called a Pref Point fee