CPW seeks input, allocation of licenses

ChrisAU

WKR
If I were king for a day, I'd agree with OTC for residents/draw only for non-residents, with one caveat - and I think it'd be easy to do, everything is pretty strictly controlled - your first tag purchase as a NR can be OTC if an OTC option exists.

I think OTC is the gateway drug for NR $ to support western game management agencies. I think taking away OTC 100% would have the intended effect of the forum, which is to reduce the strain on the animal population and reduce hunter numbers, but I also think you'd see such a drastic change in numbers in 10-15 years that the pendulum would have swung the other way.

You'd still be looking at a massive reduction in hunter numbers, but you'd make that barrier to entry softer for NR who are just getting into it.

This may be ignorant drivel, just thinking out loud.

PassCreek

FNG
One consideration I had - make ALL MOOSE Tags go Once in a Lifetime
Bull moose harvest is already once in a lifetime. I don't think there are too many people drawing multiple tags, and I'd imagine even fewer are drawing multiple without harvesting.

I wish they would go once in a lifetime on Ram and Goat harvest.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado roughly has 362k big game licenses sold every year, with roughly 103k of them going to non residents.

CPW roughly has $45 million in tag revenue. (38/7.5 non res to res).

CPW makes another $16 million in qualifying tag purchases (small game, fish, etc).

If Colorado eliminated non resident hunting all together, resident hunters would pay $125 per big game tag and make the same revenue.

If Colorado eliminated non resident hunting all together, resident hunters would pay roughly $35 dollars to make the money, which is less than we pay now.

Anyone who believes non resident hunting supports the financial backing of CPW is badly mistaken. I know not one resident hunter who would not pay $125 per tag and lower costs for qualifying tag, to have the woods way less crowded and hunt their own state each year.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Now, if CPW cut 50k big game tags a year and at the same time eliminated non resident hunting all together….while charging $150 a tag in lieu of $125…..quality of hunts would skyrocket, revenue would stay the same, and nearly every resident who wanted a tag would get one!

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Bull moose harvest is already once in a lifetime. I don't think there are too many people drawing multiple tags, and I'd imagine even fewer are drawing multiple without harvesting.

I wish they would go once in a lifetime on Ram and Goat harvest.
I know bull moose is OIL. I drew mine already.

I’m ready to draw my cow moose tag next year.

I know guys that have drawn their bull moose tag and 2-3 cow moose tags.

But until they change it, I’m applying but I still think all
Moose should be OIL.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Colorado roughly has 362k big game licenses sold every year, with roughly 103k of them going to non residents.

CPW roughly has $45 million in tag revenue. (38/7.5 non res to res).

CPW makes another $16 million in qualifying tag purchases (small game, fish, etc).

If Colorado eliminated non resident hunting all together, resident hunters would pay $125 per big game tag and make the same revenue.

If Colorado eliminated non resident hunting all together, resident hunters would pay roughly $35 dollars to make the money, which is less than we pay now.

Anyone who believes non resident hunting supports the financial backing of CPW is badly mistaken. I know not one resident hunter who would not pay $125 per tag and lower costs for qualifying tag, to have the woods way less crowded and hunt their own state each year.
If your math is right that should be an end to the debate.

What I don’t understand is why every nonresident is ok with the way Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Oregon, california, New Mexico, Arizona does it but when someone even mentions Colorado going to 80/20, rather than 85/15 or 90/10 like other states the whambulance comes out!

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Also, the CPW does actually listen and implement changes.

Back in the last 5 Year Season Structure comments, some of us promoted the idea of Bull Moose Tags should be Season Choice.

Guess what. Bull Moose tags are now Season Choice.

Overdrive

WKR
Here is my "other" in the first section:
"I agree with this statement: leftover hunt codes (licenses) should only be available to those who applied for that same hunt code as one of their four choices at the April application. There should not be the ability for anyone who did not apply for a hunt code, to purchase that hunt code later on. "
Should also have a leftover license day for residents only first then whatever is leftover goes to non residents that applied during the regular draw.

HOT ROD

WKR
I really do not have a dog in this fight this is what the residents of Colorado want to happen Ill just will have to live with what they chose to do... But if I was a resident I would gladly pay more for my big game tags and nonresidents would pay more to. All nonresident elk tags would go to a draw all preference points every one would have to front the whole license price... And all reissue tags would go to residents first and U would loose all Ur points if U have any... Moose Sheep and Mt Goat would be once in a lifetime.

Overdrive

WKR
On the third input survey I filled out
My suggestion is anyone that draws an Elk license can also use it on a Wolf 😁 see how that goes

All BS aside, we need to consider options. Last thing anyone wants, is to end up like Utah, or AZ, and not be able to hunt your own state as a resident with any kind of regularity. The reality is, elk are the only real issue in CO in terms of crowding. Everything else is pretty flipping good.

A couple options I've expressed for elk.

- OTC Caps, starting January. If you want to hunt, step up and get your tag then.

- OTC for residents, draw for all NR

- Special tags for NR like WY does. If you want to make up the revenue gap, limit tags, put so many in a "Special category" and charge for it. 100 tags in a unit, 50% go special, charge 1k, bang, big revenue generator and they will sell out.

A couple modest changes would go a long way.
1-Remove ability to earn points and hunt OTC. If you hunt an A tag, no more points.
2-Make OTC purchase deadline March 1. Still allow refunds until season start date.
3-charge non hunters more for Rec use

Last edited:
Reactions: OMB

bigharge

WKR
The article is from 2019 but specific to deer and elk licenses it states $38million from NR vs $7.6 million from residents.

And that number goes beyond just license fee. Everyone one of those tags is driving/flying to Colorado, spending money on food, hotels, etc…

I filled out the survey and my only main concern was youth. As long as they continue to prioritize opportunities for my kids and future grandkids I’ll be ok not hunting elk every year. I could use more backcountry fishing trips anyways. But that goes beyond just available youth tags, we have to preserve the resource, and I wont pretend to know the answer to that, but unlike our government, I think we as sportsmen and conservationists need to understand how to make realistic cuts today that will benefit everyone in the future. Even if that means fewer opportunities for resident and or non residents.

Which also, I hate the whole resident and non resident tension in each state. We are all hunters and I appreciate the opportunities that our country offers across all the states no matter where you pay your taxes. It becomes a selfish mentality when we act otherwise imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overdrive

WKR
Penalizing people for building PP isn't the answer to point creep, they've been putting money in every year weather they have hunted or not. And now they are paying the qualifying license and many don't hunt in Colorado anyways so they aren't crowding the units.
Take the next 5 year season structure and drop building PP's for Deer, Elk and Antelope completely and allow the people with points to use them up over the next 10 year period, so if you have 8 points you stay at that until you use them or loose them after 10 years. This allows the people that have put in the money and time to try for the area they want and the points don't change but possibly drop in that 10 year period. Then you do a random draw for the states "Trophy area's" with a 90/10 split and like Sheep and goat a wait to apply after drawing and hunting those units.

I'm really up in the air about OTC because I guide in an OTC unit and our camps are booked out 3-4 years in advance because of it, so your penalizing outfitters now for leasing in an area that they can guarantee their clients tags, making the planning easy. Unless the CPW gives those outfitters licenses and then the whining really comes out.

HOT ROD

WKR
There should not be any hate between nonresident and residents the state of Colorado or what ever Ur state of residency is should be taken care of its residents first nonresidents second.. I have no right to tell Colorado what to do with its big game and how they distribute there tags...I am a Wyoming resident not a Colorado resident.. I mite not like what the out come is but it is what it is.... Colorado has sum of the best deer hunting of any western state in my opinion why is that maybe because its LQ? I feel Wyoming has sum of the best elk hunting of any state imo thats because Wyoming limits the nonresidents to all LQ... A friend of mine killed a bull this year in a mid tear area in the Big Horn Mt that scored north of 350+

Finn16

WKR
I'm hoping they hear about the re-issue procedure. Many will disagree but I'd like to see the old random system or something similar to it, residents only and no CPW employees or family members allowed to put in for re-issues.

Poser

WKR
There should not be any hate between nonresident and residents the state of Colorado or what ever Ur state of residency is should be taken care of its residents first nonresidents second.. I have no right to tell Colorado what to do with its big game and how they distribute there tags...I am a Wyoming resident not a Colorado resident.. I mite not like what the out come is but it is what it is.... Colorado has sum of the best deer hunting of any western state in my opinion why is that maybe because its LQ? I feel Wyoming has sum of the best elk hunting of any state imo thats because Wyoming limits the nonresidents to all LQ... A friend of mine killed a bull this year in a mid tear area in the Big Horn Mt that scored north of 350+

Speaking of which, Wyoming residents should not be permitted to hunt wilderness areas in CO without a guide or a resident liaison. It’s for your own safety as we don’t want you snagging your Wranglers on any scrub oak.