Crazy deals on Lowa Boots & MR Packs - 40% off

GotDraw?

WKR
I’m wondering the same and ordered them for the same reason, I love my Renegades. Hoping someone that has both can fill us in
@tclipse & @sivart -

Tibets are a TOTALLY different boot than Renegades. Do not buy them if you stay on trails and hunt primarily terrain that is below 15% grade.

Tibets are a true off-trail steep-terrain boot, high country boot. Their stiff, square edged sole and stiff upper excel at kicking in and providing support and stability for steep side-hilling, excel at kicking-in for toe holds when climbing, excel at heel digging when descending in steep terrain and they provide superior support from the upper and sole for 100lb+ backpacks.

If you hunt off trail, in sheep/goat country, then this is a solid choice because all of the attributes that make this boot excel in sheep/goat country mean that you are buying a REAL boot. Tibets are NOT be a boot that you put on two days before a hunt and expect them to feel like bedroom slippers or Keens (which excel at looking good during steep escalators climbs at the mall).

Tibet uppers and soles are stiff. The uppers will break in and mold to your foot, but that will take about 2 full weeks of multi-mile hikes after you first put them on.

I have owned Lowa Tibets, Lowa Caminos, Asolo Fugitive GTX and Crispi Colorados (and a set of Keen Targhees which are dedicated to steep escalators at the mall).

In order to break in the stiff leather uppers of a Tibets, I HIGHLY suggest that your bring a sponge and a bottle of water on your first couple of hikes. Fully soak the leather uppers before hiking, tighten the laces and start hiking. After a hour or so, resoak the uppers, re-adjust your lace tension and hike back to your truck. Do this on a few hikes and you will end up with uppers that fit you like heat-molded, Raichle Thermocomp Ski Boots. Heaven.

BUT- keep in mind that once the uppers will fit you well, they will continue to be on the stiff side and the boot sole will remain very stiff without a lot flex. If you hunt on level trails, you will hate this boot. It will seem heavy and clunky. IF you hunt steep, off trail terrain, you will LOVE this boot.

Also- Mandatory to replace the stock insoles, they suck. I greatly prefer a heat-moldable insole that conforms perfectly to my arch. A well fitted, custom molded insole will not only support your arch, it will "LOCK" your foot in place in the boot and prevent your foot from sliding forward during steep descents. This will prevent the dreaded "toe-jam" and lost toenails, even if you have less lacing tension/pressure on your lower boot laces. I have about 6-9months of full time backcountry use over a couple years with SOLE brand heat moldable insoles. Trim to size using the original insole, put one SOLE insole at a time in your home oven (read directions), then put it in your boot while still warm, put on your boot, lace it up and stand on it until cool. Wait a couple minutes and then do the other foot. Hike with them and if the arches are still too high, you repeat the heat molding process up to a total of 4x to ensure they are perfect.

I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to have insoles that are perfectly matched to your feet. NOTE- SOLE insoles are not "cushy" they are semi stiff, I personally thought this would make them uncomfortable. I could not have been more wrong, they are amazing.

Hope this helps.

JL

OP
tclipse

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
@tclipse & @sivart -

Tibets are a TOTALLY different boot than Renegades. Do not buy them if you stay on trails and hunt primarily terrain that is below 15% grade.
Thanks for the info. I understand, I bought the Tibet's for my NM Aoudad hunt this Feb & future western hunts vs. using the Renegades for eastern stuff (e.g. VA/WV Turkey) where the stiffness isn't needed.

I am more wondering if the Tibets fit similarly to the Renegades in terms of length/width etc., the Renegade in 10.5 is the perfect size for my foot. I bought the same size in Tibet and am hoping they're on the money after break-in.

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. I understand, I bought the Tibet's for my NM Aoudad hunt this Feb & future western hunts vs. using the Renegades for eastern stuff (e.g. VA/WV Turkey) where the stiffness isn't needed.

I am more wondering if the Tibets fit similarly to the Renegades in terms of length/width etc., the Renegade in 10.5 is the perfect size for my foot. I bought the same size in Tibet and am hoping they're on the money after break-in.
FWIW. I wear the same size in Renegade and Camino.

GotDraw?

WKR

I cannot provide insight, as I have not tried Renegades. I do know that even from one manufacturer you can find that boots fit differently.

I think you "might" have too much boot for Aoudad. They have a very stiff sole and very square front toe edge, you might find them to be clunky/tiring. Consider Lowa Camino, a great boot with a front toe edge a bit rounded but can still kick-in and a sole that is a bit more flexible. GREAT and slightly more forgiving all-around mountain boot.

JL

Last edited:
I have worn Tibets for the last 12 years. I wear them for everything from steep to flat and they feel just fine. I am in my second pair and have never had a hot spot or needed any breaking in.

I love the Tibets. I use those most on my hunts. Always wanted a pair of the renegades but they don’t seem that durable from a few pairs my family members have had

OP
tclipse

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
I love the Tibets. I use those most on my hunts. Always wanted a pair of the renegades but they don’t seem that durable from a few pairs my family members have had
They would really benefit from a front rand. Mine have held up great other than the nubuck getting rubbed up on the toe over time.

They would really benefit from a front rand. Mine have held up great other than the nubuck getting rubbed up on the toe over time.
That’s good to hear. My dads pair is coming apart at the seams. Not a ton of use. But maybe just a lemon

Dos XX

WKR
I wear 11.5 in Tibet, Ranger, Camino, and Renegade. The Camino LL might be my favorite boot. I pretty much gave up on trying other brands of boots. The Lowas just work for me.

I just snagged a pair of Renegade LL on this deal.

I cannot provide insight, as I have not tried Renegades. I do know that even from one manufacturer you can find that boots fit differently.

I think you "might" have too much boot for Aoudad. The very stiff sole and very square front toe edge and you might find them to be clunky/tiring. Consider Lowa Camino great boot, front toe edge is a bit rounded but can still kick-in, sole is a bit more flexible. GREAT and slightly more forgiving all-around mountain boot.

JL
Agree with this 100% I own the tibets and the baltoros which I love. The tibets are heavy and clunky and I find myself grabbing for other lighter/stiff options more often than not, I’ve been eyeballing the Camino as one worth trying.

sivart

WKR
I was told the Camino has a much narrower sole than the Renegade? THat's why I've stayed clear of them?

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
I wear 11.5 in Tibet, Ranger, Camino, and Renegade. The Camino LL might be my favorite boot. I pretty much gave up on trying other brands of boots. The Lowas just work for me.

I just snagged a pair of Renegade LL on this deal.
I really like my Renegade LL for upland boots.

sivart

WKR
I should have mentioned the last. wide sole is one thing, but if the last is narrow (like hanwag), I won't be able to wear them

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
I should have mentioned the last. wide sole is one thing, but if the last is narrow (like hanwag), I won't be able to wear them

I can’t speak to the renegade as I’ve never tried them but after a lot of trial/error, I’ve settled on the Camino Evo GTX and I don’t have a narrow foot. They are not narrow as some other Lowa’s I’ve tried and not nearly as narrow as Briksdal I tried. They are closer to most Kenetreks I have.

Got a pair of Camino’s and put two CO wilderness hunts on them in last two years and they did great. Finally showing their age though since I wear them as daily boots so picked up a pair yesterday on this sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sivart

WKR
I can’t speak to the renegade as I’ve never tried them but after a lot of trial/error, I’ve settled on the Camino Evo GTX and I don’t have a narrow foot. They are not narrow as some other Lowa’s I’ve tried and not nearly as narrow as Briksdal I tried. They are closer to most Kenetreks I have.

Got a pair of Camino’s and put two CO wilderness hunts on them in last two years and they did great. Finally showing their age though since I wear them as daily boots so picked up a pair yesterday on this sale.

thanks, I'll prob give them a try.

kipper09

WKR
thanks, I'll prob give them a try.

Another boot to look at is the ticam. I have no experience with them but from all my research shows they are between the tibet and Camino…. I have both the Tibet and Camino and love both for what they are intended. I wear the caminos pretty much daily and the tibet is a serious mountain boot for sheep, goat ans severe terrain. Good luck with your search. That 40% off deal is about as good as you could ever ask for.