Creating a sight tape?

FlyGuy

WKR
Gradually learning more about my equipment (fletched my 1st arrows last week!). But I’m still such a newb with equipment and tuning, etc.

Can someone help me get started with the process of creating a custom sight tape? I don’t change things up with my set up (not really a tinkerer) so I don’t “think” I need an expensive program to spit out new tapes for constant modifications, but I honestly don’t even know what software programs are out there, how much they cost, or how anyone decides which to use?

I have an axcel 5 pin slider sight. Love it, but either it didn’t come with any sight tapes when I bought it years ago or I threw them out with the box w/o even knowing they were in there.

I currently use pins from 20-60, and then have the detents set to go out from 60 - 110 in 10 yard increments. But boy I would really prefer something more precise for those longer shots than trying to gap shoot. I just don’t really know where to start.

I figure someone might ask me this so here is my set up:

Halon 6” brace
28.5” draw
Maxed 70# limbs
Valkyrie arrow system at 496gr
(4 fletch, micro diameter, 225gr heads)
269 f/s

You can’t cheat the mountain

scp

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used Archer’s Advantage and TAP from Lancaster and have had success with both. I only came to them after months and months of trying to find a perfect factory tape. After reordering sight tapes from the sight manufacturer several times, I realized that I paid more for them than I would have if I purchased a tape-making program and good label paper. Bottom line, you’ll get more out of doing the tapes yourself, and you’ll probably do it cheaper in the long run. If I was to recommend just one program, I’d recommend TAP. It has produced very precise tapes for each of the sights that I use (both Spot Hogg dials sights and linear sights like MBG).

All I do is use post it notes. I cut the sticky part off from the regular paper. I start shooting my main yardages, 75, 85, 95. (I use a 5 pin fixed set at 25-65). Then I'll shoot and mark 5 yards inside of that. (70, 80, 90, 100.). Sometimes I make more marks than that but I find that I don't really need to. I generally label 75,85,&95. After that I know what the marks mean. Once I'm happy with my tape I put clear packaging tape over it. Of course I'm always changing things and playing with different arrows so I usually don't have any one tape on for very long.

I keep thinking I'll put a real tape on it at some point but this is what I have done for the last 4 years on the spot Hogg sights. Do same thing for my single pins as well.