Credit Card Alerts

Beendare

WKR
Most likely most of you have these text alerts on your credit card but if not, you should consider setting it up that way.

I buy a lot of stuff with my company CC's, multiple purchasers and its crazy how often we have a card get skimmed.

I just got an alert today that my card was being used for multiple electronics purchases totaling apx $6,000. 5 min later I was on the phone with Chase and someone tried to charge over $1,000 for an online purchase. It might be a coincidence but I got an email from Blade HQ today their data was compromised.

I set my cards up to text me every time my card is used over $.89. Its a minor inconvenience that can save you big time.

__

Actually, it saves the credit card company, as you have 30 days to report the fraud. But hey, who wants the dirtbags to get away with, and in the end, the cost is passed on to us (if you carry a balance] the consumer.

Kilboars

WKR
Thanks for the heads up.

On another note on credit I’d also recommend locking your credit with all three credit agencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Locks are good and bad. If you are an active business person these locks can be more trouble than they are worth as you have to unlock them constantly.

Its painfully obvious in this day and age that its a good practice to monitor your stuff regularly; bank accounts, credit cards, change passwords, check online purchases, etc.

Yes these banks and CC companies are responsible in the short term but it can be a huge hassle if you dont catch it in a relatively short window.

A buddy got an auto pay charge for a gym membership he cancelled and he didnt notice it on his long statement. He protested it 3 months later but the gym filed bankrupsy, so he is out the money. this is a poor example, it’s not a lot of money but I’ve heard other horror stories.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
Last time my card got hit it was from a Lancaster breach. They spent over 5k before the text came through notifying me my card was locked.

The credit card company refunded all of the money immediately, except for $80 for a prepaid AT&T card. They kept telling me they called the company and the company said that I told them it was me who made the purchase. Long story short I got my money back, but requested all their data from the transactions which included the phone number that received the prepaid card. I called the number and asked the person why they stole my card, which they promptly hung up. I called all the numbers of all the companies and they were all fake. 3 of the 4 were based in CA.

I asked my CC company why they don't pursue the people and they said they can't prove they actually stole it. We were working pretty long hours on the project I was on so I kept calling the people at inconvenient times like 4-6am and 12-2am. They never answered again, but it always went to voicemail.

I can't stand thieves.

The only time the I get annoyed with the auto-lock is when I'm traveling between projects or across the country and they freeze my card at a gas station and I have to wait for the text to come through and approve the purchase. Pretty minor inconvenience opposed to spending hours on the phone arguing that I didn't buy something.

Kilboars

WKR
Locks are good and bad. If you are an active business person these locks can be more trouble than they are worth as you have to unlock them constantly.

Its painfully obvious in this day and age that its a good practice to monitor your stuff regularly; bank accounts, credit cards, change passwords, check online purchases, etc.

Yes these banks and CC companies are responsible in the short term but it can be a huge hassle if you dont catch it in a relatively short window.

A buddy got an auto pay charge for a gym membership he cancelled and he didnt notice it on his long statement. He protested it 3 months later but the gym filed bankrupsy, so he is out the money. this is a poor example, it’s not a lot of money but I’ve heard other horror stories.

Yes true.

I’ve got the credit and CC I want so having it locked helps me sleep at night but if you’re wheeling and dealing on a regular bases it would be a pain to unlock and lock all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikenhunt

WKR
Most likely most of you have these text alerts on your credit card but if not, you should consider setting it up that way.

I buy a lot of stuff with my company CC's, multiple purchasers and its crazy how often we have a card get skimmed.

I just got an alert today that my card was being used for multiple electronics purchases totaling apx $6,000. 5 min later I was on the phone with Chase and someone tried to charge over $1,000 for an online purchase. It might be a coincidence but I got an email from Blade HQ today their data was compromised.

I set my cards up to text me every time my card is used over $.89. Its a minor inconvenience that can save you big time.

__
Just curious, did you really mean 89 cents or 89 dollars? At 89 cents, you're basically getting a text for every transaction, right?

Finch

WKR
I get push notifications for every purchase made on my credit card. Our debit cards stay locked via my bank's app. I even have a separate checking account linked to my PayPal account. Credit agencies are also locked or whatever you call it. Just don't misplace the pin to unlock.

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
Yes 89 cents.

My buddy that used to run computer security for Bank of America explained it to me this way; sometimes the crooks will test the card with a very small charge of like a dollar to see if it works.

Would be a great way to track my daughter too.:)