Crick refrigerator

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
For my upcoming turkey hunt I want to bring fresh food, since I’ll only be out a few days and it tastes so much better. I want to use the age-old “put it in the crick to keep it cold” trick. Except instead of adult beverages I want to just use it for my regular food. I figure double ziploc bags, tie a rope to it, and a rock to weigh it down should be fine.

The question is, will the critters find it? Mainly worried about raccoons and skunks, but bears are in that area as well.

Any tips or tricks are appreciated!

WKR
If it's double-bagged, totally submerged, and hidden under something, you'll be golden... says this random guy on the other end of the internet.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Should be mostly snowmelt, so the temp will be plenty cold. Of course, if there is still snow up in camp I can just bury the food in a snowbank. Good to keep that in mind for later in the year though.

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
If you are worried about critters and the hassle of weighing down food in a crick, then it seems logical to just bring a cooler.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Could do, certainly. Didn’t want another thing to pack in. If I were car camping I would certainly do that, but not backpacking.