Crispi Wild Rock GTX Plus Liner Thickness?

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of Crispi Wild Rock GTX plus 800 gram insulated boots for mid season. Something for late Oct – Nov where I don’t quite need Sorel’s for warmth and I still want to be able to climb mountains.

They arrived and I like most everything about them, but one thing has me concerned. Thickness of the insulated gortex liner. Overall the insulation liner is no thicker than the last pair of 400 gram boots I had. In fact, in the toe box it doesn’t appear to be any thicker than uninsulated gortex liners. I checked the box and it looks like they sent me the correct boots, but I am really confused.

I bought these boots after doing a fair amount of looking around (including reading the pined thread at the top of this page). The only other boot I was really looking at was the 600 gram Schnees Granite.

I am just not sure how it’s possible that these boots have twice as much insulation and are any warmer than regular 400 gram boots.

Seems there are a few people on here with these boots, are you guys seeing the same thing in regards to liner thickness? Are they actually warmer than 400 gram boots?

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair of 400 gram Wild Rock's and wore them all deer season in PA. Temps were on the warmer side with lows in the low 20's and highs to mid 40's. I walk a lot, but sit for a few hours here and there. I thought the 400's were equivalent to any other pair of 400 gram boots I have ever owned. However, the boot is much better than any 400 gram boot I have ever owned. They are on the stiff side which works for me. When side hilling or walking in rocky areas, these boots gave me more support than I have ever experienced. If I needed to adjust my insulation for temperature changes, I simply wore a different sock.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying to decide if I am going to return them. Maybe I am missing something here, but I just don't see how it's possible that these are very warm.

These are a little more roomy of a boot than I normally buy, so I can run thicker socks to get some warmth, but I paid for insulated boots and I would kinda like to have them.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I called and talked to Crispi, he had an interesting explanation. He told me the type of insulated Gore-Tex booty they use has the insulation laminated on the outside of the booty. They use a duratherm synthetic fiber instead of the traditional Primaloft, and this duratherm has a higher R value for same weight/thickness as Primaloft. He said it's about the thickness of three dryer sheets. That's the reason you can't see/feel the thickness. He said it isn't 800 grams of duratherm, because you would see that, but instead they scaled it to the r value so it's equivalent insulation as if it was 800 gram primaloft.

Of course I am slightly skeptical, a lot more warmth with less airspace is always suspicions (and I am an engineer with a taste for fancy new materials), but I am going to give them a go.

Brendan

WKR
I can't comment on the liner thickness compared to others, but I do love the boots... They surprised me as being much more wearable than I would have thought in milder conditions, and work well in snow and cold too. These are my only insulated leather boot though.

No way they're going to compare to an all rubber insulated lacrosse or something like that I use for tree stand hunting, but so far they're the best combination of good support and warmth/waterproofness that I've found.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I can't comment on the liner thickness compared to others, but I do love the boots... They surprised me as being much more wearable than I would have thought in milder conditions, and work well in snow and cold too. These are my only insulated leather boot though.

No way they're going to compare to an all rubber insulated lacrosse or something like that I use for tree stand hunting, but so far they're the best combination of good support and warmth/waterproofness that I've found.

How cold of temps do they still keep your feet warm in for stationary (glassing or stand sitting)? How about active?

Brendan

WKR
I'm going to caveat this as it's very different for everyone. My feet sweat and get damp almost no matter what I do if I move around so I don't think these would be good for all day glassing in really cold weather. I'd need pac boots, or rubber boots like my Lacrosse. Similar to sitting in a tree stand for whitetail.

Truly active, I'd be fine in the single digits and even below no problem. I've had them in a "mixed" scenario of single digits, teens, 20's with snow while still hunting, then stopping for a couple hours or so and been fine with what I'd call my western gear (not super insulated heavy tree stand not moving much type of gear). But at the end of an hour or two not moving, my toes are getting cold and it's time to go.

Basically, my read so far is there about as good as I'd expect a leather boot could be.

Edit: I have them sized maybe a half size bigger than my other hunting boots so I can wear heavier socks if I need it, and they still lock down fine when I'm wearing lighter ones....

Last edited:
I have the 400 gram primaloft wild rocks, and I have honestly been disappointed in their warmth. I think your concerns are valid, and I’d be surprised if they keep your feet warm in long sits in cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd1out

FNG
How cold of temps do they still keep your feet warm in for stationary (glassing or stand sitting)? How about active?
Im curious on a update with your boots. Did they work? Did u go with a half size bigger for thicker socks?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I have the wild rocks plus and they're not a pac boot warm, but they keep my warm enough into the high teens. I also have scarpa wrangell's and although they're not touted as being insulated as the sales point....but they exceed the crispi in every respect. Better leather. Adjustable tongue. Better sole. Generally higher build quality and warmer.

The cost is that they're stiffer and more bux.

Odd1out

FNG
I have the wild rocks plus and they're not a pac boot warm, but they keep my warm enough into the high teens. I also have scarpa wrangell's and although they're not touted as being insulated as the sales point....but they exceed the crispi in every respect. Better leather. Adjustable tongue. Better sole. Generally higher build quality and warmer.

The cost is that they're stiffer and more bux.
Thx, I find scarpa to be too narrow for my feet. Great boots though. Im now thinking about about kenetrek mtn xtreme 1000. How are the wild rock plus holding up? Ive had bad results with crispi durability in the past.

Wrench

WKR
My crispi's are meeting my expectations for durability. I am hell on boots too.

Odd1out

FNG
My crispi's are meeting my expectations for durability. I am hell on boots too.
I'm glad to hear there holding up. Are u above or below 215lbs? I'm the destroyer of boots. I feel body weight is the biggest contributing factor in destruction. Ive tried 4 different brands so far. Only one has lasted more then a season. One had the sole separate 4 days in remote 2 week hunt. Ive found a few other candidates now zamberlan 1005 Hunter Pro evo gtx widefit and meindl Kibo GTX Hunter 600. Anyone have experiences with either of these two?

Wrench

WKR
I'm glad to hear there holding up. Are u above or below 215lbs? I'm the destroyer of boots. I feel body weight is the biggest contributing factor in destruction. Ive tried 4 different brands so far. Only one has lasted more then a season. One had the sole separate 4 days in remote 2 week hunt. Ive found a few other candidates now zamberlan 1005 Hunter Pro evo gtx widefit and meindl Kibo GTX Hunter 600. Anyone have experiences with either of these two?

I'm about 280 with my pack on. I crush boots.

BCD

WKR
I have the 400 gram primaloft wild rocks, and I have honestly been disappointed in their warmth. I think your concerns are valid, and I’d be surprised if they keep your feet warm in long sits in cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the same and they are not very warm. I much prefer my Danner Pronghorns and Lacrosse Atlas. Both are lighter, more comfortable and warmer. I'm hoping that the Wild Rocks last much longer but I am not impressed so far.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Im curious on a update with your boots. Did they work? Did u go with a half size bigger for thicker socks?

I kept them and hunted mule deer in eastern MT in late November last year. temps ranged from about 8 deg F to just above freezing. I made due by putting chemical heaters in the toe, but they are not very warm. Butt dyno says they are at best equivalent to 400 gram boots.

I just bought a pair a packboots for my next cold hunting trip.

gostovp

WKR
I just bought a pair a packboots for my next cold hunting trip.
I was gonna post a separate thread about this very thing… wondering if i should pickup some insulated leather boots for any colder weather hunts I might do vs the Hoffman Mountaineer pacs I just got ( to use as cold all around cold weather boots). I have Hanwag Alaska GTX that I can take down to the teens as long as I’m not sitting for super long…

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
0utle