Crossfit specific shoes

ethan

WKR
For any other crossfiters, I have a question. I'm due for some new shoes and I've looked at some of the Salomon trail running shoes and I like them. How are these shoes doing wod's? Everyone at my box wears the nano's but i've never owned a pair. I'll have to order them without trying them on since there are no stores close to me that sell them. I don't like buying shoes without trying them on first!

Another question, does anyone trail run in there nano's?

mtbshark

WKR
Nike metcon is way better than nano's in my opinion. And both run true to size. The up side to this style shoes is for lifting but they leave a bit to desire on the runs.

Poser

WKR
I gave up on the "do it all shoes." You really need a pair of lifters for squats and Oly lifts and lifters suck for running. After experimenting, I've found it best to have 2 pairs of shoes on hand: lifters and any other type of minimalist shoe, be Chucks, 5 Fingers Etc

Ironman8

WKR
I just got my first pair of Nanos a couple weeks ago and will say that they are better than my Brooks trail runners that I was using for the simple fact that the sole is flatter. If you're running any substantial amount or doing a trail run, I would probably get something specific to that though. The Nanos should be fine for shorter runs and just about all the Crossfit workouts you'll encounter.

As far as lifters go, I've never used them, but my understanding is that if you have less than adequate mobility (especially in the ankles) then that's where you'll get the most benefit. For those that don't need the mobility help, Nanos or Metcons or whatever other "functional fitness" shoe that's out there should do just fine.

Btw, Ethan, I think it was your thread a while ago asking about Crossfit. IIRC, you're going to Crossfit Mayhem right? How's that going so far? Met Froning yet?

OP
ethan

ethan

WKR
That was me Ironman! I've not met Rich yet, he is usually there earlier in the day but I absolutely love going to Mayhem! I started out 3 days a week which is what they recommended at first. I've been going for about 5 months and have upped my membership to 5 days a week. It's never dull or boring to say the least! I've been really impressed with the gains and improved cardio I'm seeing as well. After years of running the thing i've heard dozens of times is absolutely true, "you think you're in good shape by being a runner until you start cross fit!"

Ironman8

WKR
Awesome to hear Ethan. I think every one of us here that do Crossfit are jealous of you for going to Mayhem lol. If I'm ever in the Cookeville area, that'll definitely be on the list for a stop (and workout).

OP
ethan

ethan

WKR
If you're ever down this way shoot me a pm!! There are actually folks that drop in all the time from all over the country.

Poser

WKR
Why are "wooden shoes" superior to Chucks for mere mortals with a 1.5xBW squat?

I use the Oly shoes with some hill lift, though I resisted them for awhile and wore chucks and other minimalists shoes for lifting. It really does make a noticeable difference in technique and comfort in your squat and Oly lifts. It's ones of those things that you don't think you actually need until you try them and realize how great they are and why everybody uses them. Depending on the MetCon, I'll change into my chucks or NB minimus.

i use the oly shoes with some hill lift, though i resisted them for awhile and wore chucks and other minimalists shoes for lifting. It really does make a noticeable difference in technique and comfort in your squat and oly lifts. It's ones of those things that you don't think you actually need until you try them and realize how great they are and why everybody uses them. Depending on the metcon, i'll change into my chucks or nb minimus.

jmez

WKR
IMO the trail runners will be fine during the WOD's. I don't have any issues wearing ASIC's. You really don't do anything during the WOD's that "Crossfit" specific shoes will help you with.

Take-a-knee

Banned
IMO the trail runners will be fine during the WOD's. I don't have any issues wearing ASIC's. You really don't do anything during the WOD's that "Crossfit" specific shoes will help you with.

The more you can stay completely away from any footgear that has a heel more than 1/4in/4mm higher than the ball of the foot you will be better off.

OP
ethan

ethan

WKR
307, I think the principal is the flatter your foot sits (the closer to your foot being in its natural bare position) the easier it is to keep good form. But that's just my guess.

There is a reebok outlet a couple hours away from here and i'll be going right by it this weekend. Gonna pick up some nano's and just use my running shoes for my trail runs. May even pick up a pair of the salomon trail shoes to.

Take-a-knee

Banned

Spinal alignment. An exaggerated case are women's high-heeled shoes. Another reason is in case you turn your ankle. Unless you have a previously injured/unstable ankle, it is all but impossible for you to actually sprain an ankle while barefoot. This is easy for you to test on yourself. Now try the same thing wearing something like a typical work or military boot, very carefully. You will note the elevated heel has created a longer lever-arm working against the ankle. Low-heeled minimal shoes load the tissues as they are designed to be, and foster a healthy conditioning of same. Anyone who's worked in boots all winter knows they have weak ankles come spring.

WKR
I assume you're speaking of hyperlordosis associated with elevated heels?

When it comes to Oly lifting, I think the requirements of the footwear are specific enough that generalized rules are thrown out the window. Ankle sprain is essentially a non issue and IMO a tendency towards lordosis is preferrential in contrast to disc loading in lumbar flexion. Of course, too much extension can create its own problems but I'll take a facet problem over a disc problem every time. Upright posture, neutral spine and knee positions are much easier to achieve in a lifting shoe so in that specific activity, I think the specialized footwear is both performance enhancing and injury preventing.

As for a general crossfit shoe, I'd likely agree with your assessment of lower and more stable shoes. Heavily cushioned running shoes (especially road running shoes) are a poor substitute IMO due to their instability under heavier loads.

Take-a-knee

Banned
From what I've read there are more issues than just your lower back (hyperlordosis), and I'm talking about daily wear, not just for exercise. As for oly-lifting shoes, I'm not qualified to comment as I know little about them. I have an old neck injury that limits what I can support in the snatch position, so I only do muscle/power snatches for reps, and probably not very well at that. A quick glance at where the sweat stains are on my barbell tells all, not much out near the collars.

SDHNTR

WKR
Innov8 Road X 233 is the closest thing I have found to a do all shoe. Great in the gym and for 90% of all things Crossfit. Not perfect for Oly lifts, but only lifter shoes are. For me, not perfect for long distance running either (I like a little more cushion), but they are the best compromise of everything I have come across thus far. Hardly any drop and a sticky, wide, flat, stable sole.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert. I'm not at all into the geeky details of footwear or really anything else regarding working out. No need for overthinking excercise. I just get in the gym, get it done and get it over with. I'd much rather geek out on hunting.

mohawk32

Lil-Rokslider
I have New Balance Minimus cross trainers that I throw on for accessory work and conditioning after my oly workouts. They've served me well and don't generally break the bank.

Poser

WKR
I have New Balance Minimus cross trainers that I throw on for accessory work and conditioning after my oly workouts. They've served me well and don't generally break the bank.

I have the same ones and use them for the same purpose. You can usually grab them cheap on Sierra Trading Post.