Crossing into Canada with a firearm

Huntindog

FNG
First time crossing the border with a Firearm from ND. What is the current process? I googled and all I found was the non resident firearm declaration paperwork. That seems too simple.....just a bolt action rifle.........nothing on the prohibited list. What am I missing?

Tod osier

WKR
First time crossing the border with a Firearm from ND. What is the current process? I googled and all I found was the non resident firearm declaration paperwork. That seems too simple.....just a bolt action rifle.........nothing on the prohibited list. What am I missing?

I'm not up to date, but it was always easy. Declare everything, including bear spray and ammo, have it all in one place. Also check the knife laws. Last time we went through with guns they were almost more interested in knives, but maybe the law was just new.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Fill out the u.s. CBP form, have them stamp it before you leave.

Fill out Canadian form 5589, and declare to the canadians when you cross.

It's usually pretty easy and painless on land border crossings, just make sure you paperwork is in order.

MTmils

FNG
Just returned Saturday, Canada form is 5588 which cost $25 to file. Super easy at the border, I already have the form filled out and printed. The Canadian border officials filled out section D other than that everything was filled out prior.
The American form is 4457CBP I also had this filled out, previous with all expensive items with serial numbers. CBP will fill it out before you cross the border. You’ll have to find their office before crossing over. With that being said, coming back through US customs was super easy they never asked for any forms or anything.
Hope this helps

KBC

WKR
I'm not up to date, but it was always easy. Declare everything, including bear spray and ammo, have it all in one place. Also check the knife laws. Last time we went through with guns they were almost more interested in knives, but maybe the law was just new.
Ya the Canadian border guards have something against knives. Don’t bring anything you can open with one hand, even if you really have to almost throw it to get it to open. They’ve decided assisted opening or ones that can be opened easily are prohibited even though the RCMP has said they are not and you can still buy them up here.
Fixed blade knives are ok though.

Yooper

WKR
Not sure if it's the same form, but don't sign it until your in the presence of Canadian customs agent. It used to say that on the form but every time I crossed with a group of guys going up to hunt there'd be one guy who signed it in advance and it always caused issues. Other than that it's pretty simple and straight forward.