Crunchin Kernels

ToolMann

WKR
Got a box of 143 ELD-X to load in my son's 6.5 Creedmoor. Had previously been loading NBTs. Anyways, book COAL says 2.8". I'm at 2.818 and still feel kernels being crunched at the max load of 42 Grains of IMR 4350. Anything to worry about? I have some room to make them a bit long as I measured 2.91 COAL and 2.265 BTOG with the comparator. I'm not a "chase the lands" guy and don't worry much about some jump. Just seemed odd I was compressing the load when my overall length was longer than the book. I've never hit a compressed load before and typically end up at book max load with everything.

TM

SDHNTR

WKR
Compressed loads are nothing new. As long as you’re not fighting the press handle during seating, the cbto lengths stay consistent and you’re not seeing pressure signs, or going way over book max, I personally wouldn’t worry about it. But if it bothers you, change powders.

Last edited:
OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Appreciate the reply. I wouldn't say it bothers me at this point. I'll shoot them and see how they do. I certainly wasn't fighting the press handle. Could just feel it a little bit at the end of the stroke almost like rubbing some sand together.

SDHNTR

WKR
Btw, book COAL is nearly meaningless to me. Does it fit in the mag and smoothly feed? And is it not jammed into the lands? (Usually pretty hard to do in a saami chamber and still fit in mag). Then rock on.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
I hear ya. I was able to jam the last bullets I loaded for this rifle in to the lands. Same with these. This is the first Tikka I've had where the magazine length was long enough to put them in the lands.

Vern400

WKR
Compressed loads are fine. I have had trouble with extreme compressed loads with variability and overall length even though I'm using a rock chucker press which is very rigid. A little bit of crunch is okay if it's not messing with your overall length.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
How are you dumping your powder into the case? Are you using a long(er) drop tube? This will help kernels to settle better and may reduce compression.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You can also see variations between brands of brass as far as actual capacity too. Try a different brand and see if you're still compressing. What does your book say as far a fill capacity at your max loads?

MThuntr

WKR
Yep as stated compressed loads are nothing new and I tend to want a load that is close to 100% density. The books suggest that even at max you're close. I don't mind a bit of crunching but when it gets really noticeable you should watch to see if you're not getting some bullets springing out after you load. It's rare but I've heard it happens. At that point, I usually look for a different powder.

A couple things you can do is use a drop tube and slowly pour powder in or you can vibrate the case a bit. I'd probably run a new ladder load to confirm you didn't affect pressure (you shouldn't if you got to the load using normal loading methods but it's worth the extra steps to confirm).

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I know Redding recommends against compressed loads as they say it can damage seater stems. I too have had loads push out after seating due to high compression. When it happens, I’ll go to a different powder to reduce compression.

Try the drop tube and use the swirl method when pouring your powder. It makes a difference.

rayporter

WKR
a drop tube and a slow pour of the powder help with powder column height. if you cant pour slowly at least stop 3 times and let the powder settle each time.

Eric Ward

FNG
I had a .308 that liked a compressed load with IMR 4064. I watched for pressure signs, but all was good and it shot great.