Current .45 or new 10mm

Hoopwse

FNG
Headed to the Gravelly range for opening week of rifle season in October for elk. I’ve had multiple people recommend bringing a handgun for bear protection. I thought I would be fine with my rifle but when I talked with my outfitter he said a little extra insurance is nice in that part of Montana.

I have a sig 1911 chambered in .45 that I’m good with, but after some research it seems .45 isn’t enough for bear protection. I’m thinking about picking up a 10mm glock. Is the .45 enough or should I get a 10mm?

gelton

WKR
IMO - from a penetration standpoint a 9mm +p with buffalo bore hardcast will be better than the .45. But if you don't have one then I would consider the 10mm for sure.

I carry an FNX 45 with 45 super, it's not quite 10mm performance but it's close. I alternate Underwood hard cast and penetrators. It'll get upgrade to 460 rowland eventually. I couldn't find a 10mm that fit me well.

OP
H

Hoopwse

FNG
Would have to go the Gun broker route for a 10mm because I can’t find a dealer here in Georgia with one in stock. Anyone had any good or bad experiences on there?

FLATHEAD

WKR
I carry a Glock 30SF with a KKM Precision Barrel and a 23 lb spring.
Shooting .45 Super, 255 gr. Buffalo Bore Hardcast. These will penetrate.
I never really got on the 10mm bandwagon. More like a .357

gelton

WKR
Would have to go the Gun broker route for a 10mm because I can’t find a dealer here in Georgia with one in stock. Anyone had any good or bad experiences on there?
I've done business with them, pretty easy to find reputable sellers, most are full-fledged brick and mortar gun stores.

Take, or buy, whatever handgun you can find hardcast ammo (ex: Buffalo Bore) for.

Normally it’d be but the handgun and then grab the ammo but now, ammo availability can dictate what to buy.

Headed to the Gravelly range for opening week of rifle season in October for elk. I’ve had multiple people recommend bringing a handgun for bear protection. I thought I would be fine with my rifle but when I talked with my outfitter he said a little extra insurance is nice in that part of Montana.

I have a sig 1911 chambered in .45 that I’m good with, but after some research it seems .45 isn’t enough for bear protection. I’m thinking about picking up a 10mm glock. Is the .45 enough or should I get a 10mm?
I killed a black bear with my 10mm and it took a mag dump to put him down.
I sincerely hope I never have to use it on a grizz, I still pack it for archery but would rather have an AK pistol for a charging bear!

MHWASH

WKR
GB is starting to add a bunch of fees. I would find a local dealer and order one in.
I’m currently out of the 10mm game, and now carry a 9mm. The reason for this is because always chose the 9 because the pistol is smaller and lighter, but I don’t hunt in grizz country either.

OP
H

Hoopwse

FNG
Well found a good deal in a new Glock 20 at a gunshow this morning. Thanks fellas.

I sold my 10mm to my old man after walking up on a grizz last year while looking for muleys. No encounter or altercation, but it made me REALLY rethink the 10mm. To each their own, but don't bring something you don't have FULL faith and confidence in.

Encounters and attacks are rare, but there's no second chances if it happens. Food for thought.

I started a thread a while ago in gen disc called "Whos actually been charged by a grizzly", it had a lot of first hand experience replies in it, including some who said 300 win mag didn't stop a charging grizzly with 1 bullet.

B23

WKR
It'll get upgrade to 460 rowland eventually.
I'm always for the idea of purchasing a new gun but if you already have a good 45 putting a 460 Rowland conversion kit in it would make for some stout medicine in a semi auto pistol.

I only have two 1911's a 45 and 10mm, both are Sigs. Always been a Sig fan.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking my Gov't model 45acp loaded with some Underwood hardcast. In my area it would be black bears and the more proable threat of the weirdos you can encounter on the Appalachian while hunting.