Current Preseason workout plan and nutrition

if anyone is looking for ideas, this is how my April/May is shaping out. I live in CO and am planning some elk and bear hunts. I also rock/ice/alpine climb, so my routine and diet are tailored accordingly. Would not recommend jumping right into this if you haven’t been training already. I’ll change up the routine/approach entirely after these four weeks for next month and move into a month of KB, barbell, more rucks/backcountry trips and more Mtn Tough style workouts, with less running and calisthenics. I try to minimize running in general-I’ve found pounding is not good for the spine over the years. All the runs below will be trail runs, which I find are easier on my joints/spine.
Monday: 5am Hard Run. 5-6mi, 300-600ft vert. Sub 9:00/mi pace. Fast until afternoon. 15min stretches before bed.
Tuesday: 5am ~15min warmup: easy Run 1mi, dynamic stretches (very similar to the Mtn Tough Warmup). 45minutes Calisthenics over lunch consisting of 1min continuous pullups and pushups (alternate as needed but keep going). Rest 1 min. 15rounds. Then abs. Stretch before bed.
Wednesday: same as Monday
Thursday: similar to Tuesday, but routine with muscle ups, pike pushups, pushups, dips, toes to bar, pullups. Typically use HeriaPro App.
Friday: 5am ruck with 65#, 3-4mi, 1000ft vert. Run 3mi at lunch easy. Or backpacking
Saturday: easy calisthenics and stretches or yard work, walking.
Sunday off
________
Second week: repeat first week
________
Third week (Peak for the month - destroys your legs, so back off if needed):
Monday: Mtn Tough style leg workout (eg bear tooth) 60min
Tuesday: hard run 5-6mi
Wed: morning easy run and dynamic stretch. upper body weighted calisthenics 45-60min.
Thursday: Legs: 3 sets (with 35# dumbells and no rest) of: 15 split leg squats per leg, 15step ups each leg, 30 goblet squats, 15 single leg rdl each leg, 30 lunge steps. Rest 2mins. After three rounds of this do 4 final rounds of 45sec each with 15sec rest: broad jumps, crab walks, split squat jumps, tip toe wall sits. Workout should take about 60’ with little rest and will destroy your legs.
Friday: easy run 3-5mi
Saturday: 65# ruck, 3-6mi, 1500ft vert or backpacking/scouting or alpine climbing
Sunday: off
______
Fourth week: similar to first week but dialed back intensity, likely take Monday off and just do some walking to let legs recover more, duration based on how you feel.
______
General:
8hrs sleep each night. No dairy, limit gluten and sugar. Intermittent Fasting 4-5days a week. 1g protein/lb of body weight. I keep my body fat at 12-15%.

Just wanted to share, but would be happy to get feedback or suggestions too, cheers.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The biggest thing is not overtraining and getting plenty of rest, stretching, and essential foods to help with muscle fatigue/growth. If you don’t already have a dedicated day for stretching/yoga/massage you need to work that into your routine.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
everyone's hunting is a little different, but my elk hunting usually involves very long days and very often covering big miles

to cover big miles in the mountains hunting, you need to do big miles in the off season

I try to dedicate at least one day (usually on the weekend) to a long run or long hike- shouldn't be at a high intensity, but should stress time on your feet

I like to strength train, like to incorporate hiit type training, like to do shorter runs/hikes, but when push comes to shove- it's time on my feet that gets me ready for the mountains

OP
NasssTNate
Agree 100% - nothing better for training for the mountains than training in the mountains, but with work and kids (and now quarantine) I find it hard to get out for long days very often, so try to stay in good general shape, with a lot of focus on legs, and periodize the training types, intensities, etc - then as it gets closer to the season, try to get up high more and shift to more activity specific days. I’ve been using this approach for years, and stay healthy and strong and can keep up with almost anyone in the mountains. I should say, I also genuinely like running, calisthenics, weight training etc so don’t mind using them. I do other stuff as well to stay active - play hockey, yoga, bike, battle ropes, interval/hill sprints, etc - like to mix it up from time to time.