WTS/WTT Custom ultra-light AR-10

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Literally no expense was spared in an attempt to make this AR-10 (.308 Winchester) both as ultra-light as possible but also to ensure complete reliability. No cheesy plastic triggers or undependable buffer systems - just the best of everything.

Starting with a Xanthos-Lite receiver set from 2A Arms, the build includes an 18" fluted carbon-wrapped barrel from BSF, a titanium adjustable BCG from 2A Arms, 12" Smoke Composites hand guard, Smoke Composites closed butt stock "enhanced" with Limbsaver pad, Smoke Composites cheek piece riser, M-Lok finger stop with QD swivel connection on hand guard and M-Lok QD connect on butt, and includes both a Smoke Composites ultra-light pistol grip and the California compliant grip. Single stage AR-10 competition trigger from Timney is the go switch. Hollow Ti pins from 2A Arms, V Seven weapon systems- TI pins, castle nut, Light weight Bolt catch, ultra light Mag catch, light weight selector, and two Lancer 10-round mags round out the build. Fired to test functionality by the builder/armorer. Tested with Barnes 150-grain TTSX ammo and BCG adjusted to run like a sewing machine. As it sits right now it weighs 5# 15.8 ounces. I could have had it about 10 ounces lighter but that would have required no cheek piece riser (how can you achieve cheek weld without one?), an open un-padded butt stock and a less-dependable buffer system. Another 1.4 ounces could have been saved by using a 16" pencil profile barrel instead of the 18" BSF large diameter carbon-wrapped barrel, and finally another 2 ounces could have been saved by using a different shorter and slightly lighter but less operationally friendly hand guard. So it's possible to have the bare weight down to around 5#, but the add-ons on this rifle were a good tradeoff in my opinion when specifying the build.

I have not fired this fine AR. It's the first one I've ever owned and I cannot warm up to the ergonomics of it - too many years with bolt rifles I guess. I wanted a 10-round alternative to one of my NULA bolt rifles for added bear protection while bowhunting in Alaska, but the ergos just don't feel right to me. Anyway, another project is in the works so down the road this goes. Will sell and ship to your FFL anywhere in the L48 for $3200 or best reasonable offer. I have a bit more than that tied up in parts and armorer fees so I feel that is a fair price. Trade interests would mainly be for collector-quality Parker shotgun +/- cash as needed or possibly Kifaru 12-man tipi. Listed elsewhere so first posted "I'll take it" wins.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by John_Havard; 10/13/20.

www.dryadbows.com
http://www.facebook.com/dryadbows?ref=ts