CVA Wolf & Powerbelt project

Cheaha

FNG
I shot a nice feral pig with my Wolf on Friday morning (sorry, no pictures). Very pleased with the accuracy and performance, although it was only about a 30 yard shot, lol. On Saturday, after a day of still hunting in the rain, I strapped my Wolf to my backpack so I could have both hands while bushwhacking back to my truck. I knew I was snagging on vines and branches on the way out but I did not realize I had lost my ramrod somewhere back in the woods until I got home after a four hour drive. Finding a new ramrod locally has been impossible and most of the online vendors are showing out of stock, so that sucks. When I get a new one the first thing I am going to do is devise a way to secure that ramrod so it cannot slide out without being intentionally removed. Any ideas on how to do that would be appreciated. Also, any ideas on a temporary ramrod until I can locate a new one?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I shot a nice feral pig with my Wolf on Friday morning (sorry, no pictures). Very pleased with the accuracy and performance, although it was only about a 30 yard shot, lol. On Saturday, after a day of still hunting in the rain, I strapped my Wolf to my backpack so I could have both hands while bushwhacking back to my truck. I knew I was snagging on vines and branches on the way out but I did not realize I had lost my ramrod somewhere back in the woods until I got home after a four hour drive. Finding a new ramrod locally has been impossible and most of the online vendors are showing out of stock, so that sucks. When I get a new one the first thing I am going to do is devise a way to secure that ramrod so it cannot slide out without being intentionally removed. Any ideas on how to do that would be appreciated. Also, any ideas on a temporary ramrod until I can locate a new one?

crap! I hate it when that happens. I’ve bought ram rods from Sportsmans Warehouse. They don’t fit the gun exactly, but I’ve cut them to length until I can find one. Have you reached out directly to CVA? hey @BPI_Outdoors, can you help him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheaha

FNG
Thanks Robby and Rob. I will look into that site. I think I have located one locally, thank goodness. Also, several people have suggested a hair band around the barrel and ramrod to keep it in place. I'm going to give that a try.

KHNC

WKR
Im late to this thread. In my experience, CVA makes a great ML for the money. As for powerbelts, I have not found a bullet I hate more than powerbelts. I tried them and wanted to like them. Killed a few deer, but never did find a way to make them accurate. I used hornady 240gr XTP with Sabot. ( i know sabots arent legal in your state) I also used a full diam lead ML bullet that was more accurate than the powerbelts. One time i used bore butter in the barrel and shot a powerbelt after. It "poofed" out the barrel with no recoil. So dont try that. lol. Before next season i would search for a better bullet, and get even better results than you did already with less effort.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Is anyone else shooting 200 yds + with the 24 inch wolf?

I'm trying to decide between wolf & optima. $100 diff pretty much. Want a 200-250 yd shooter.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Is anyone else shooting 200 yds + with the 24 inch wolf?

I'm trying to decide between wolf & optima. $100 diff pretty much. Want a 200-250 yd shooter.

I was not able to get that distance, but remember I was shooting open sites. I did not tune this muzzleloader with a scope, but I’m sure if you’re in a state that allows it, it would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk