CWD Detected - Proceed with Caution? Or throw it to the wind?

Looking at the science reports makes it sound like it’s near impossible to kill a prion.
So I tend to think your meat processing utensils and area are already exposed to some extent.

There are a few studies on “primates contracting CWD” and they just seem to add more questions. This article discusses some of the studies.

I think I’d toss it. Though I would probably eat it myself I know my wife wouldn’t eat it and I’d not feed it to my kids. Would be to much hassle and mental mind twist to try and keep it.
It’s actually very easy to destroy the prion, they are easily destroyed with acid just not heat.

To the OP we are now officially 60 plus years into the perceived cross over of CWD into our native ungulate populations. Vast majority of animals with it will not be expressing the infection until late in their life cycle, so yes is very plausible you have already had it, if you hunt in CWD positive tested areas or border areas.

I personally would eat it all day long, my kids maybe not.

OP
Hoosker Doo

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like we've covered the issue well again. Time to move on and post it in the Meat & Trophy care sub forum now.
I'm good with it here. Carry on without me and post it there if you like. 😉 The ungulates here are not a majority whitetail, so I wanted to include anyone with mule deer/elk CWD experiences in the discussion as well. The meat is also well cared for. Maybe just a little tainted haha

Seems like we've covered the issue well again. Time to move on and post it in the Meat & Trophy care sub forum now.
I agree. How many times has this been brought up now?

Oh look. Another thread from last week.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at the science reports makes it sound like it’s near impossible to kill a prion.
So I tend to think your meat processing utensils and area are already exposed to some extent.

There are a few studies on “primates contracting CWD” and they just seem to add more questions. This article discusses some of the studies.

I think I’d toss it. Though I would probably eat it myself I know my wife wouldn’t eat it and I’d not feed it to my kids. Would be to much hassle and mental mind twist to try and keep it.
The video at the bottom of the monkey study page is very interesting. Haven't heard any of this before. Apparently CWD is caused by a previously unknown bacteria, the prion is just an artifact of the infection. They are claiming they can vaccinate captive deer/elk and have some sort of oral vaccine for wild critters. They are developing a field test kit as well.

The video at the bottom of the monkey study page is very interesting. Haven't heard any of this before. Apparently CWD is caused by a previously unknown bacteria, the prion is just an artifact of the infection. They are claiming they can vaccinate captive deer/elk and have some sort of oral vaccine for wild critters. They are developing a field test kit as well.

I don't care for that fellow calling it "Sport Hunting". Its not a sport in my family, never has been and never will be.
What jumped out at me was the repetitive comments that the "Prion cause was a Theory", and now the theory is that its a Bacterium.

Earlier I didn't add a source. The below are a decent discussion. It seems there is some argument within the science field as to if CWD is in fact a Prion or not. Each side claiming their theory is correct.

Last edited:

bpa556

FNG
Don’t eat the brain or spinal fluid. You’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Don’t eat the brain or spinal fluid. You’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As far as I understand it, that is the only place the prions can be found.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
The studies with the primates involved feeding them meat from CWD infected deer. They are not conclusive, but some of them indicate that CWD could be transmitted by eating meat, not just neural tissue.

Whether you and your family keep the meat or toss it are up to your own personal risk assessment. Even with Mad Cow, which could be contracted, the chance of transmission was pretty low. Also a very horrible disease process if contracted.

One point brought up earlier was that everything that has contacted neural tissue and possibly meat is contaminated as well, if you decide to toss the meat. The last time I looked, a soak in a 50% bleach solution for 5 minutes was recommended for anything contaminated with CWD (I need to find that source again, been a couple years). That solution is pretty damn hard on things and would need to be applied to coolers, knives, cutting boards, etc.

I test my deer and try to minimize what I use to quarter the deer, then freeze quarters separately and wait to process further or clean things until after I get test results back. (Usually less than 5 days) So far I've never had a positive, but I'm waiting for results now, and I know I will sooner or later.